• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pintle size question??

jp0863

brand spankin new to the site, but have checked it out from time to time... not sure why i didnt join earlier..... now for the 1st ?... i just bought an m105a2 from govliquidation.. will the pintle and lunet be the same size for my m1009? or do i need to swap one or the other? thanks.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As I recall, the pintle WILL close over the M105 lunette ring, but you have got WAY more trailer than your M1009 can begin to stop. I would have very serious safety concerns about this.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

mangus580

You should be all set.... BUT... be warned, the M105 is a VERY heavy trailer, and towing it with the M1009 is not generally suggested. For getting it home, it might be safe, but I would not suggest towing it with any weight in it.

jp0863

hmmmm, that heavy huh??.....well i only intend to use it for keeping all my camping gear in when i go 4 wheeling. i needed something with high clearance and the price was right. i will probably swap the axle to one with electric brakes and 8 lug pattern to match my blazer later down the road. or what the heck, maybe ill play with it awhile and decide it's too big. i would have rather had an m101a1, but couldnt find one at a reasonable price.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The trailer tips the scales at about 2750 lbs. It has an air over hydraulic brake system. The military frowns on towing them with HMMWVs even. GL has had several M101 variants at auction lately, you might should check their site.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

jp0863

the only ones i could find were back east. seems it would cost quite a bit to get one out here. i would imagine, and correct me please if i'm wrong, but is most of the weight in the axle assembly? the trailer itself doesnt seem like it should be that heavy... i'm not trying to argue, i am just ignorant about the subject and want to know more. when i was interested in a trailer, i wanted one that i could sleep in comfortably. being 6'4" i was looking for something a little bigger than me and this seemed to fit the bill.

jp0863

oh definately with brakes. i dont plan on hauling much with it since i have a truck, it will mainly be used for camping and sleeping in once i find the bows and tarp to make up the top... anyone know where i can find the top and bows?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, the axle, and more importantly the hubs, tires, wheels are the bulk of the weight. Swapping the axle will resolve much of this - but as others have warned, install an axle assembly with a braking system compatible with your vehicle. As far as ferrying it home empty, I'd be extremely cautious....but that tends to be a habit of mine.

Enjoy!

David Doyle