Plan to buy a 3D printer

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will be getting into 3D printing this year. Just getting started on looking into the latest advancements.
As with everything in manufacturing, selecting the right equipment for the intended results is important.
Don't want to be jumping in & end up with obsolete technology a month down the road.
As I understand it materials are getting much better by leaps & bounds lately.

So I'm asking for the thoughts on this from people already into this type of manufacturing.

TIA

Lothar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen some amazing things in the 3d metal printing arena. Can't imagine a machine with those capabilities would be obsolete any time soon. Sure improved models will undoubtedly come along but even whats available now can create some extremely impressive products that would be valuable well into the future. That's not to imply I have any expertise on the subject, just an observation and a possible avenue to consider.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Metal printing is extremely expensive. Plastics are decidedly more affordable. If you have some hundreds of dollars, there are some good machines like Prusa or Creality and so on. If you have a few thousand, there are some pro-sumer brands like CreatBot (which I have) and if you hane $20,000 you can get into continuous fiber-reinforced which can be as strong as aluminum, Onyx Pro being one example.
What are you looking to do?
Bulldogger

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3D printing is a hobby thing not a manufacturing thing. Maybe for prototypes. In manufacturing we turn out widgets every minute or less, no time for hobby machines. Must use injection molding.

M-35A3

3D printing is a hobby thing not a manufacturing thing. Maybe for prototypes. In manufacturing we turn out widgets every minute or less, no time for hobby machines. Must use injection molding.
There are 3d printing farms out there that manufacture alot of items not just prototypes . small scale vs large scale .

We will be getting into 3D printing this year. Just getting started on looking into the latest advancements.
As with everything in manufacturing, selecting the right equipment for the intended results is important.
Don't want to be jumping in & end up with obsolete technology a month down the road.
As I understand it materials are getting much better by leaps & bounds lately.

So I'm asking for the thoughts on this from people already into this type of manufacturing.

TIA
I use a creality ender 3 v2 in which it works out great and is inexpensive for what it is . Another good thing about plastic 3d printing is you can upgrade the printer with the printer itself (within reason) which is amazing honestly so nothing to worry about something becoming obsolete anytime soon . A roll of filament goes along way as well , most of the rolls range from $20-$60 with the specialized rolls being on the higher end of the price range . I suggest checking out the official creality website @ https://www.creality3dofficial.com/ .

The metal 3d printers are still extremely expensive like others have mentioned here in the tens of thousands of dollars last i checked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks