• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please don't hate me. Alternator question.

Im sorry for sometimes forgetting to use the correct punctuation and to capitalize my words when needed. I do not have allot of schooling going for me. It is not done on purpose. Ignorence is no excuse i know.I will honestly try harder to follow the rules. I have read what i beleive to be the correct thread to help me with this issue. With key off i have power to the red wire bolted to the alt.I also have power to the heavier wire in the white plug.With the key on the exciter wire (smaller wire in the white plug)has power with key on. This is on altinator#1. My altinator #1 light is on also. Can these be tested like any other altinator. i brought it to NAPA to have it tested and they have to find out what to punch in for a # so the machine they have will test it. Should i bring it to the rebuilder instead. I have had brushes and a regulator put in it by a guy at work that has alot of knowlage on this sort of thing. When he tested it after putting those things in it still didnt charge. Is there a different way to test them when they have the isolated ground. I also read about the diod trio. Should i replace that as well. Thanks for the help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator is very simular to a 1975 Cadillac. Some store can test them is they can think for themselves. Instead of hooking the ground wire to the case (almost all alternators) they need to hook the ground wire to the extra ground stud.

When the guy put the new parts in, did he make sure that all of the screws and insulators where installed correctly?

Also when you reinstalled the unit did you install the ground wire to the engine block?

Alternator - labeled-gif.gifDSC02431.JPG

Last edited: