• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please forgive me for such a dumb question (voltage related)...

Knightmare

I searched for the better part of an hour, and I couldn't find the answer, so please don't shoot me! lol

I let my m1009 sit a little to long between cranks, and now she doesn't start, dead batteries.

Would a 12 volt battery charger be able to get the job done?

I know one of the batteries operates at 12v, and the other at 24v... So which one is which?

I've heard you guys say 2 vehicles could get the job done (of course I can't find the thread now), but are they entirely necessary? Could I do it with 1 car, and the charger, or maybe just the charger?

I'm a real rookie when it comes to this stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is more than one solution. Here is one:
Disconnect the battery cable in the appropriate order.
(should be stenciled on the underside of the hood)

Attach battery charger to one battery and charge.

attach battery charger to second battery and charge.

Reconnect battery cables in correct order.

start truck.

pgwaldner

Actually both bateries are 12 volt. They are run in series so the power is 24 volts out of second battery (2 x 12 volts). Don't try to jump with 12 volt, just take both batteries out and completely charge each 12 volt battery seperatly on 12 volts then put them back in.

The front battery operates at 12 volts and the rear battery by the firewall operates at 24 volts.:deadhorse: What are you doing letting it sit, they are meant for driving:razz:

BTW don't feed it ether if you can't start it. Good luck!

Crash_AF

You can charge the batteries individually without disconnecting anything. Just hook the cables up normally to each battery but not across both and you'll get 12V. Just don't let any clamps or anything touch metal on the rear negative and you'll be fine.

Later,
Joe

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe nails it. Just charge each battery, without disconnecting. + to + & - to -, when you are using a 12 V chargers. If you have two chargers, you can charge both at the same time. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Take care with the grounds, that they are good.

dstang97

If you had a 24 volt trickle charger hooker up at terminal block would that work with the isolated grounds?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks