• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please give me the $.10 explaination of how the Non Air Shif

TiredIron

I understand the Air Shift (Rockwell..?) front axle as far as how...and when it works.
But I don't clearly understand the Non-Air Shift (Sprage) axle....on how and when it works.......and what happens if you install a pair of Locking Hubs on one...???
Thanks
in advance.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the front drive is overrun just a bit vs the rear drive. When rear slippage is detected, the sprag engages. Picture the sprag as a drum with a hub inside it. Between them is a series of oval shaped pieces. Kinda like rollers but oval. The tolarance is close here. The little pieces are at an angle and have a spring around them. As long as the inner piece is spinning faster than the outer piece all is normal. When the drum spins faster, the oval pices turn a bit and bind the two together causing front drive. In reverse, a different sprag engages. Lay terms here. As far as that assy, it's correctly called an overrunning clutch but most folks just call it a sprag. There is linkage between the trans and transfer so tha sprags know what direction to engage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Joe. I had problems getting what I want to say on paper. Much easier to show with the hands!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks