• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

please help troubleshoot my temp daily driver

hfmt93

I bought my m1009 a little over a month ago. I love it. I drive it 45 miles to work on nice days.

I am a civilian aircraft mechanic so have a good mechanical knowledge but nothing about diesels.

I hit a deer in my real daily driver and the cucv is how I am getting to work for a few weeks. I need this truck to work. I need your help.

It has 2 problems:

1/ Since I bought it the drivers (normal, 12v side alt) alternator has not worked. The previous owner had both alt rebuilt. I have a good battery, bench checked the alt, looked over the wires (just looked, not torn into harnesses). I can't find anything.

The Gen 1 dummy light will come on when you turn the key to run, I will start it, notice the ammeter is not doing what it is supposed to, turn it off, and when I turn the key to run the Gen 1 light is now off. If I get out and disconnect/reconnect the Gen 1 wire that goes into the alt, the process starts over. I do not even know where to look for this.

Also, the pass (one that is supposed to charge both batteries) does not charge both. If I burn the headlights to work I will have to jump it on the way home. This has been a small annoyance as a drive whenever vehicle but now it has to be driven for a few weeks.

2/ Today, I had a big problem. I was going down the interstate and as I went up a hill I noticed it would not keep speed (even worse than normal). Then it felt like it wasn't getting gas. It would have small very light jerks (at least felt like a fuel problem). Then as i pulled over to check things out it died around 20mph. Towed it home, charged the battery, and started it up. It started fine but smoked excessively. Ran it for about 5 minutes and it still smoked heavy. I think it is diesel smoke (not oil, water, ect). It also idled slow, but constant.

Please, someone point me in the right direction. Any help is much appreciated.

Westech

CPL
ok.. first of all not one of the alts charges both Batteries. The driver side alt is 12V with a negative ground and charges the first battery. (the 12V side) The second Alt has a positive ground ( its linked in series to make 24V, both alts are 12V the alts are made to have a "isolated" ground and do not ground to the case at all) and charges the 2ed battery. You can replace the drive side alt with a "civy" case ground unit. What works well is a large case GM out of a late 70"s caddy with a V8. But you really should get the military unit from www.odiron.com
You could have a fuel problem by the sounds of it stalling and restarting. Could be air leaking in from the fuel fliter or a injection pump taking a dump. First thing to do is check all the fludis and get the charging systen in good working order. Use the search function to help you with your alts and the TM's are a very good place to look for help and trouble shoot.