• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pops in the Steering

Jack Lope

I've got some loud pops coming from the front passenger side when steering. I just replaced drag link and tie rods. I thought for sure new tie rods would fix it, but it didn't. Any ideas what else I should check?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check that every nut and bolt is tight.

My civy truck did that and discovered shop forgot to tighten some bolts after some work.

Assuming its not locked in 4wd of course.

cucvrus

Outer axle U-Joints gets my vote. Change them ASAP. That is one of the reasons the frames crack out at the power steering box. Change both of them while you are at it. It also makes a great time to do a major maintenance on the inner axle spindle bearings, Wheel bearings, seals and lock outs. Spring is here it is easier now then in the dead of winter. Good Luck. Take your time and do a good job. Less then a $100. in parts repair if you do it yourself. $400-$500. if you take it to the garage.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check all bolts like said above. I had similar noises in my one truck. Turned out to be loose bolts holding steering box to frame.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
If you have an automotive style stethoscope crawl under there and have someone turn the wheel while you try and pinpoint the pop sound. will keep you from throwing parts at it

cucvrus

You won't need to throw any parts at it. If the outer axle U-joint is the culprit it will be evident immediately. Tell tale signs are rust oozing from the trunnions and tightness in steering when the vehicle front axle is elevated. no need to buy any parts and throw them till it is properly diagnosed. Good Luck. It's a simple task. It only gets a bit more complicated as you begin to learn the repairs. After that easy.

cucvrus

Same thing happened here. This member asked a question then never left the group know the diagnosis. What gives? What was the problem? It is not helpful for me but would help others that may be experiencing the same issues. I think if you bring an issue to the group and the group helps you or try's to help you. In turn out of courtesy you share your findings to the group as to what was causing the issue that you ask help for. Also share the resolve or solution to the issue. Is that fair enough? Or should I just think Oh well. It is your problem?

evldoer

I feel the same way. So many people leave the outcome just hanging in the air with no explanation on what the solution was. Come on guys! We are here to help each other out. Return the favor by posting the results!

rustystud

Same thing happened here. This member asked a question then never left the group know the diagnosis. What gives? What was the problem? It is not helpful for me but would help others that may be experiencing the same issues. I think if you bring an issue to the group and the group helps you or try's to help you. In turn out of courtesy you share your findings to the group as to what was causing the issue that you ask help for. Also share the resolve or solution to the issue. Is that fair enough? Or should I just think Oh well. It is your problem?

What he said !

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happens all the time in every forum.
Really sucks when your having the exact same issue and find a thread , read it all, only to find out the joker didn't let anyone know if it worked or not etc.

Agree
Would be nice to know the outcome. Good or bad.