• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible, but not recommended, Cab moving

Barrman

I have an extra cab that is rust/dent free for my Gasser. It has been sitting on the back of my flatbed Chevy for the last few months waiting for me to find the space/time to start cleaning it up. Sunday was the day it got attention. My original plan was to use the hydraulic pto driven tail gate on the Chevy to just lower it to the ground. That plan went away when one of the hoses puked fluid everywhere. So, instead of just waiting for a new hose later this week. I decided I "had to" get the cab in my shop so I can work on it now.

I used my shop roof to pick up heavy stuff in the past and didn't like the way it sounded or seemed to flex. That left me with a regular engine hoist to pick it up.

I still had about 4" of lift left in the hoist when all the slack was taken up. But, it wouldn't pick up the cab. It did take up some of the weight though. So, I just pulled it off the back of the truck very slowly. It didn't drop to the ground or anything. I was able to slowly let it down onto a set of Harbor Freight 1000 pound furniture dollies I got just for this purpose.

Unless I pull the doors and come in from the side with the boom closer to horizontal, this method will not work for pulling the cab on the truck now or setting this soon to be pretty cab on the frame of the truck.

One of the pictures shows the cab on the dollies from the side. What is cool is that when I am out of the shop and look in, it looks like a '23 T roadster cab with the vertical windshield and such.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finding three friends ain't a problem. Finding three friends who all have the same time frame to help out is a PITA!

Not a bad job, there, Barrman. Looks like the cab is in good shape....

Barrman

It was in better shape before it got to my house. We put a dent in the drivers rear corner of the cab moving it from the trailer it showed up on over to my Chevy. Then I didn't check my straps a 3rd time yesterday and the passenger side door got bent a little. Look at the first picture and the drivers side strap is not on the triangle shaped window guide. Look at the second picture and you can see it bent the passenger guide over.

Another word of warning about M35 body parts. The metal hard top should not be moved by a single person. I unbolted the top and thinking it was about 100 pounds, tried to pick it up while at the same time stepping down from the bed of the Chevy. The concrete floor broke my fall and my leg broke the fall of the top. No parts were damaged during that operation. It was a close thing though.

Pistolnut was at my house picking up some parts for his M715 when I started all this. But, thinking it would be easy I told him to go on home and not waste his day helping me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Barrman said:
Another word of warning about M35 body parts. The metal hard top should not be moved by a single person. I unbolted the top and thinking it was about 100 pounds, tried to pick it up while at the same time stepping down from the bed of the Chevy. The concrete floor broke my fall and my leg broke the fall of the top. No parts were damaged during that operation. It was a close thing though.
I think

nopics

Barrman

Chris, It was the fall that reminded me I needed the camera. All the above pictures were taken after the incident. But, if you look at the first picture, you can see two yellow and rust things. The one on the left is the top of hte top and the one directly behind the hoist is the back of the top.