• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible cruise control on a 1097?

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a veteran friend of mine who would like to see if there is an option to install a cruise control on his M1097. He has rods and pins all the way from his ankle to his lower back (courtesy of Uncle Sam) and it makes it difficult for him to keep his foot on the accelerator while driving long distances in his truck. I tried to search for this topic and I came across someone who installed a throttle cable from a military generator, but my friend would like to see if there is a kit that can be installed.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a veteran friend of mine who would like to see if there is an option to install a cruise control on his M1097. He has rods and pins all the way from his ankle to his lower back (courtesy of Uncle Sam) and it makes it difficult for him to keep his foot on the accelerator while driving long distances in his truck. I tried to search for this topic and I came across someone who installed a throttle cable from a military generator, but my friend would like to see if there is a kit that can be installed.

Thanks
Mike
I think we will need a little more information to help. The engine makes a big difference. The 3116 vs a 3126 that has a little more "automation" will help with the answers you get.

Yes, you could affix a throttle cable on a 3116 but if something pulls out in front of you, you won't be able to disable the throttle and stomp the brakes fast enough...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the high idle control with a modified throttle control off of a 5KW gen set, worked pretty well.
I was surprised at how well it maintained speed given it was just a throttle control, of course you have to remember to release it when you want to slow down.
If he had a Dmax or a LT gas engine it is a breeze albeit a little expensive.
There are some "universal" aftermarket cruise controls, Rostra is one name that comes to mind.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some universal cruise control kits that use a throttle cable and probably could be retro fit to replace the hand throttle cable. They often require both a tach (which AFAIK all HMMWVs have) as well as a speed sensor (which may need to be added?). I've never tried them, but definitely considered it in the past as a way to add cruise to a different vehicle. If it was a daily driver I'd probably consider it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks