• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible plastic FMTV door handle replacement

sargentwolf

Complained to my best friend about the broken latch on my truck. And the cost of a new one....nearly 300.... His eyes lit up when I mentioned that they dont sell the handle separate from the assembly.

He is a movie prop & resin part maker by trade.

He wants to take a try at building a replacement plastic handle for the LMTV trucks. Better then factory one, aluminum reinforced resin with fiberglass filler.

No promises, but hes going to prototype on my rig then see if its something that can be done.

Have one question that would help make this easier on us: is the plastic latch held in place via riveting or bolted? See the pic for what we are wondering about. If anyone has one lying around and can send a pic of the attachment pin...thing... it would be amazing.
Thanks!

door latch.jpg

sargentwolf

The handle is made of cast Alumium. Further, it is riveted to the metal latch parts. He can make the handles, but it would require drilling out the rivets and bolting the resin piece to the metal pieces. Mods, go ahead and delete this.

coachgeo

Where do they typically break?: (assuming the rivets thru the chrome handles arms and Black arms from plate is a pivot point)
. Is it the Rivets that break?
. Is it the Chrome "Pull"/handle portion, breaks off of leaving what appears from pic to be the Pull's pivot arms still attached to rivets
. Or is it the Black arms of the Case that the Pull's pivot arms are riveted thru that break?

Sounds like from your description that the thought is the Pull breaks off from its arms??

Last edited:

sargentwolf

Mine was busted at pull handle. There was enough material left to drill a hole in the handle for a safety wire loop, redneck handle!

Now lets hope it passes safety inspection....I already have to pay 600 for a windshield....dont wanna pay an additional 2-300 for a new handle yet...

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He can make resin handles, but there is little hope it will ever be stronger than the cheaply cast aluminum original. If he's using Smooth-On brand products, he'll want to try the "Task" series of performance plastics.

Honestly, the best way would be to just have one machined out of billet aluminum (or even stainless steel). A machined one would be far stronger than the original. One would still cost less than $300, and if you got a couple the price would drop significantly [per piece]. If I ever break mine, that's certainly what I'll be doing.

As an aside, why the snide remarks about "mods, just delete this"? It seems really rude.

sargentwolf

He can make resin handles, but there is little hope it will ever be stronger than the cheaply cast aluminum original. If he's using Smooth-On brand products, he'll want to try the "Task" series of performance plastics.

Honestly, the best way would be to just have one machined out of billet aluminum (or even stainless steel). A machined one would be far stronger than the original. One would still cost less than $300, and if you got a couple the price would drop significantly [per piece]. If I ever break mine, that's certainly what I'll be doing.
His plan was to bend up a piece of alumimum for the basic handle shape and add in resin with a fiberglass filler for additional strength. Problem is though that everything is riveted. It would require major drilling and work to remove the old handle, followed by additional work to reassemble it. He can do it, but doesnt feel that it would survive from the twisting forces of the return spring and other parts, not to mention the pulling of opening the door. Resin he uses is Alumilite RC-3 and milled glass fibers for the filler, super strong and pretty lightweight. Pricey as all get out though.

Wasnt really being snide about asking for deletion, just feel that my thread doesnt really add anything of value to the forum is all.

coachgeo

There is a GM, Chevrolet, Caddilac door handle at the Amazonian online buy it site that looks close. Similar other sites carry them too. One of these or another Manufacture might be a source for parts for the door handle if not a direct replacement for whole thing. All for about 12 bucks.

Once I get mine home I'll be looking to do same repair. The ol' driver's door handle is broke too. If no one else does it before I get mine home..... Think I'll try walking thru a U-pull it Junk yard with the complete broke handle, latch and maybe Strike off the 1078 in hand to make comparisons with other vehicles set ups.

Have not seen a U pull it near me but then not looked for one yet either.

UPDATE:

Found that Dorman makes "Universal" auto door handles. Sold thru AutoZonedOut that look similar. Something else to check out for parts and/or replacement.

Last edited:

sargentwolf

One slip and you hit the metal latch parts. That was his main fear.

Also, you would have to bolt it back together. Chance of a bolt coming loose or eating away metal is higher. He didn't feel confident in being able to make a part that would be both low cost enough and strong enough to survive for long. His work ethic is very high.

coachgeo

His plan was to bend up a piece of alumimum for the basic handle shape and add in resin with a fiberglass filler for additional strength. Problem is though that everything is riveted. It would require major drilling and work to remove the old handle, followed by additional work to reassemble it. He can do it, but doesnt feel that it would survive from the twisting forces of the return spring and other parts, not to mention the pulling of opening the door. Resin he uses is Alumilite RC-3 and milled glass fibers for the filler, super strong and pretty lightweight. Pricey as all get out though.

Wasn't really being snide about asking for deletion, just feel that my thread doesnt really add anything of value to the forum is all.
While others disagree... IMHO deleting your ideas would be a disservice to members.. Reason being bringing up ideas..... even ones yourself or others might later discount ...... is a good thing. Humans learn more from our/others failures than from what we/others do right. Besides that, one person's ideas; be they good or bad, sparks additional ideas in other members. One of those ideas it sparks may well be the solution to what everyone is seeking. A solution that would not have been sparked if post/thread was deleted, or never started. Sort of a "Think Tank" approach you might say.

Again; know this goes against the grain of others way of thinking so much so it puts a stick up their arse but it's their stick and their choice to put it there. Brains learn and think differently... but when all of them are seeking same solution.... it's a win win. Just a .02 to consider.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One slip and you hit the metal latch parts. That was his main fear.

Also, you would have to bolt it back together. Chance of a bolt coming loose or eating away metal is higher. He didn't feel confident in being able to make a part that would be both low cost enough and strong enough to survive for long. His work ethic is very high.
If you aren't confident drilling, you could grind it off using a Dremel. Much less pressure, so easier to control. I don't think bolting it back together would be bad - just use nylon locking nuts and some washers. Even getting a new rivet in there wouldn't be the end of the world.

If somebody wants to send me a broken handle (after they replace it), I'll model it in CAD and try to figure out what it would take to machine one.

sargentwolf

An update to this.

Took the door handle to a weld shop in STL. The door handle seems to be a either zinc or magnesium alloy that the first weld shop could not weld. Going to try a second one that does exotic welding for boeing, they think they can do it.

If so, Ill be sure to share how exactly they pulled it off.

coachgeo

Another option would be to stop by a machine shop and see if they can fabricate the whole unit that broke, out of a steel or aluminum. Would be an interesting comparison.

scottmandu

If the door is adjusted properly less stress is placed on the latch mechanism and the door handle. Broken handles will be a thing of the past.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the door is adjusted properly less stress is placed on the latch mechanism and the door handle. Broken handles will be a thing of the past.
Mine closes like a new car door now with the new handles. Of course it closed fairly easily before but now not so much slamming the door as simply closing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks