• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

powder coating..taking the plunge

hummer4x4guy

I have decided to take the plunge and get the front brushguard and lower area and rear bumper and tire carrier done.
Does anyone have any parts they have had coated in a black or a mil spec black? I got one quote today to do all my parts and the parts blasting for 650.00 Seems a fair price but going to get two more quotes also.
Anything I should be aware of while getting a quote or things to be aware of if a place is trying to cut corners on their work?

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Hello. I had a powder coating business for about 9 years. If any of your parts have sharp corners you should de-burr them as the powder will have a very thin coverage on sharp edges and rust will start in time. Also, are they pretreating after grit blasting? Most places that grit blast will not pretreat but if you had two shops quoting and one was pretreating and the other was not, I'd go with the pretreatment shop. Powder is very durable if the substrate is treated properly and the powder is cured properly.

hummer4x4guy

Hi LP, thanks for the information. Is there a certain pretreatment that I should look for to get the best results?
Also with regards to sharp corners since its a Humvee almost all of the edges are tight edges on the brush guard and bumper. Do those edges need to be filed down a bit?

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
For steel parts some type of iron phosphate coating is the norm. If the parts have expanded metal on them, the grit blasting will beak down some of the sharp edge and that's probably as good as it's going to get. If you can DA sand any of the other edges without being a major hassle, that's what I'd do.