• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Inverter here?

My m1009 has the usual black and red wires going to where the radio equiptment was on the passenger side, by the bench seat. I have the TMs, but the electrical stuff leaves me a bit bewildered. I want a power inverter in my cucv. Can these wires power one? where is the best locaton, and how does a power inverter tie into the existing system? I would like something that could carry a pretty signifigant load, to power items like circular saws, etc...

mistaken1

Those radio buses would make a great place to connect a 24V inverter.

If you have the radio shelf you could mount the inverter on it.

Don't forget to fuse the leads to the inverter.

Attachments

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a 24 volt circuit. the truck starts on 24 volt and has a few 24 volt circuits. if your adding a 12 inverter you will need to add a heavy wire from the 12 volt supply under the hood or get a 24 volt inverter.

3dubs

I want to add a power inverter. A 12V is too much work when you have those power strips, They are connected straight to the batteries and carry 24V. I plan to take the wire lead and connect them to the power strips and put the inverter behind the spare tire so it can easily be reached with just the back window down. But far enough inside to avoid sudden rain. But that is because I want to run lights and equipment. If you want to run tv and video games I woud put it under the passenger seat attached to the bottom of the seat so it is out of site and spilled drinks won't get it.

PsycoBob

APC 1500VA Smart-UPS unit are 24v, and have a set of anderson plugs to connect the batteries. Pop it open and swap the position of the internal plug with the external plug. (yellow external plug is used to connect the batteries during installation, without opening the case to get at the normal battery plug)

Older units are mod-sine, newer ones are true-sine. 950w or so, and a built-in battery charger. I think 1200VA units are also 24v. Smart-UPS series will likely need a cd of the control software to tweak the unit's settings, along with a funky APC-specific serial cable.

You may be able to get these from local companies that're replacing them when the batteries die after a few years. I've scavenged a few from work, along with the unused serial cables and software CD's.

3dubs

Many RV's 24v so finding 24v is easy. Just Google 24v inverter and you will see. I would call RV places. They do this everyday.

Thank you all! I found loads of 24v inverters on ebay, but still plan on doing some searching. I have done tons of work to my m1009 with the help of everyone here. Before and after pics soon... :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks