• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power out, can you (or not) run load on MEP016 convenience outlet?

445gsdss

Well, it figures. Haven't been able to pull together an extension cord off the power lugs yet and power just went out in ~30 degree weather. Will it hurt my mep016D to run a 1500 watt space heater off the convenience outlet?

have read some threads where this is a no-no on larger units, but found one that stated it was ok on the 016s. I need to know for sure since otherwise I'm sitting here in the cold.

Thanks!

445GSD

Rapracing

That should not be a problem. Plug it in and get some heat

I am not sure why it would be a problem as you have read. I have ran them on both my 002 & 003. I didn't use extention cords but plugged them directly into the outlet. I don't have a 016 but I would guess it is a 15 amp circuit breaker on the outlet?

Last edited:

445gsdss

Thanks - fired up and getting heat as we speak. The heater has a selector switch for 750 or 1500 watts. I'm running 750 and it's plenty warm.

I just picked up the MEP016D last week and just got it running Saturday. I was really worried about tearing it up.

Rapracing

[thumbzup] Awesome! Isn't it great to have backup right at your finger tips.

Right after getting my 002 running and hooked up our power was out for about 5 hours. Well really only about 5 minutes :naner:
I have since used it one more time for about 8 hours when the power was out. I have always had portable gas generators but this is so much more convenient and not only that designed to do the job

Isaac-1

Hopefully at first light in the morning you can wire up a heavy cord or pair of outlets to the output lugs and get closer to full output.

Ike

p.s. in theory the panel outlets are wired up as a pair of individually fused 15 amp (12 amp fused) outlets, however it seems in reality many have been rewired to be a single 15 amp outlet with the hot side jumper not cut.

Last edited:

derf

My 016D had a very small gauge wire feeding the convenience outlet, like 18-20. I've run drills and grinders and such from it but you won't get a lot of power from it for very long. It was wired to one of the two fuses. The other fuse was not connected to anything.
I rewired the output for 120/240 and made the main 120 duplex outlet where the convenience outlet was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks