• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump bracket- is their any way to make them sturdier?

edpdx

I'm in the middle of moving this week and I hear an odd noise as I turn off the ignition. Under the hood I find the bracket for the P/s pump cracked off on the top ear and the driver's side ear.

Are there any ways to weld these up so they won't go out in the future?

Are there any places to look for one?

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:

cucvrus

I laminated a few. I mean I had broken ones and welded a second piece on top and cut the slot back in the bracket. I then replace the stud and added a flat washer to the new stud to prevent the bracket from riding against the hex head of the stud. Also make sure all the brackets are tight and in place. I have seen many missing the bottom bracket and also they are often not in the correct position and the bracket gets loose easily. Replace all the nuts with M10 serrated flange nuts to help them stay tight. I hope that helps. I am in the process of doing some repairs to one I just removed from Terminus M1009 that was worn and broken. At this point I am keeping everyone I can find and repairing them. They were about $18. new when they were available but them days are long gone. Fix what you have or luck out and find a new one. Have a great day.

Drock

Agree, just bevel the edges, tack it in place, remove, and weld it up. when you reinstall it, make sure to get all the bolts good and tight. Also make sure to use thread lock on the pump bolts. Stuff like this usually breaks when they get loose and vibrate.

edpdx

I found a guy on the bay that had a pump and bracket for sale under $50 shipped. Got here today before the sun came around to that side of the house. I had the original one off since yesterday- including having pulled the pulley with a HFT pulley kit. The bottom 2-piece bracket was the hardest part, but I got it good and tight. I replaced the alt belts since one (driver's side) had a couple of teeth missing. HINT: if you do this job be sure to get all the belts in place BEFORE YOU START installing the pump bracket bolt. There is not enough give in the belt to thread the belts in place once the p/s pump has mounting bolts in- even loose.

Thanks for the help.