• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Toughness

sassriverrat

Hey Guys-

Couple of questions but the first and main one:

Truck has roughly 750 hours and 22k miles (M925A2). Occasionally the power steering can be really tough to turn the wheel, seems almost like it happens mostly when the engine is falling off a few RPM (like letting off the gas) and I'll need two hands to turn the wheel. Ideas? Res seemed plenty full.....

Second- Opinions on AT3A tires vs XZL's? Gotta get new tires, old ones are showing dry rot.
Third- Opinions about throwing a half gallon per tire of anti-freeze to self balance new tires- I do have working CTIS and I like it.
Fourth- ABS light on solid- doesn't really bother me to not have ABS but wondering if the unit killed itself.
Fifth- Issues with rubbing up front and articulation on the rear end if I go from 1400R20s to 1600R20s.

Thanks guys!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The relief valve spring is worn out causing it to lockup.
No rubbing up front on tires. Rears will rub the bed and only 2 finger width between the tires. There are threads on this.
Tires dont need to be balanced 95 percent of the time. Especially new. 16.00 xzl tires are going to be cheaper and easier to come by over the AT3s plus the AT3 will not flex as much as the XZL.
ABS. Go thru the diagnostic trouble shooting for the system. It could be numerous things

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should bother you to not have ABS in a 939series truck. (Any other vehicle , no big deal)

1) the brakes are calibrated for full load and full trailer.

2) the Allison has a lock up torque converter. It is slow to unlock

3) Power steering is a necessity on these.

Item 1 makes it easy to lock the brakes when empty.

Item 2 means that when you lock the brakes, you kill the engine.

When you kill the engine, you lose power steering. The wheel jerks out of your hands, you go sideways and the truck flips and kills you dead.

I learned to drive before there was ABS. On most vehicles it's a solution in search of a nonexistent problem. On the particular equipment combination on the 939series trucks it's a necessity.

Edit to add - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?46227-M939-A1-A2-ABS-vs-Non-ABS-Trucks

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the topic of 16.00R20s:

1) On 5ton combat rims they rub driver side front at full turn.

2) you can articulate enough to contact the bed.

My preference would be the AT3s.

HEMTT rims solve problem 1. A spacer between the bed and frame rails will solve problem 2.

Planning to keep the CTIS?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks