• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steerng Belt Noise

biped

I had a diesel mechanic replace power steer belt because of noise. I've still got belt noise and shudder steering at speeds below 3 mph. My truck is converted to 12 volt and belt pulleys that were originally two are now one. My belt is installed on the one nearest the driver. (a) is that correct, and (b) what is the NAPA number for the correct belt.

Maybe I've got power steering issues and not belt issues but, I'd appreciate some help. I gotta stop that squealing.

Biped

Barrman

Since your brakes and steering use the same hydraulic pressure source. That source is really taxed at low vehicles speeds. That is why there used to be two belts turning the power steering pump. Some people have reported no issues with just a single belt. Many more though report the same problem you have with just the one belt. Do you by chance have bigger than stock tires too?

Try adding some air to the front tires if you want to leave everything else alone. Putting an alternator back up there to run the second belt would be a handy way to carry a spare alternator around. It doesn't have to be hooked to anything. Just hold tension on that second belt.