• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

powered trailer... ?

tamangel

A while ago, I was looking at a history of Land Rovers and came across an article that talked about a trailer being powered from the power take-off on the rear of the LR's differential or axle housing via a short drive shaft connected to the trailers axle which contained a differential also.. Any applications to MV's like M715 or deuce?

Mike

rmgill

Not really. You need the powered point RIGHT at the hitch swivel point. what you're talking about if I understand correctly is the Rubery Owen powered trailer for the 101" forward control land rover.

The challenge with such a system is that the trailer can exert a shove on the vehicle. The higher you put that point, the more likely, that at the wrong time, while off road it can shove the front vehicle over if it's slightly over balanced AND looses traction while the rear vehicle still has traction. Since the trailer is just about always on both wheels it's hard for it to loose traction and as such the chances of loosing traction on the front 4 wheels can make for some problems. The powered trailers for the 101" FC land rovers weren't put into any significant production as far as I know.

Here's a page showing this off.
http://www.allisons.org/ll/4/LandRover/FC101/

tamangel

The one I saw was a smaller trailer coupled with an old 'series' land rover..Not the Forward Control rigs..

Mike

same problems I suppose..

dc3coyote

I belive there was a powered trailer for a Hemmtt on GL last month.
And to work out the drive shaft issue. I bet hydrolic drive. Lines going to a pump/drive wheels, then return to the rear PTO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks