• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Practical MEP generator usage

Triple Jim

It's a good article, but the advice it gives about regulators is not correct, as it applies to the MEP-002A and MEP-003A. In these generators, running the engine below operating speed lowers the generator output, and the regulator sees this and tries to raise it by lowering its output current, not raising it. This is because the output of the regulator goes to the control windings of CVT1, which is a special magnetic amplifying transformer. CVT1 is what supplies current to the exciter field, after being rectified by the diode bridge, and it reduces this when current is passed through its control windings. The regulator works least when the engine is running slowly, and most when it's running at or above operating speed.

I've verified this by adding a regulator output current meter to the control panel of my 003A, so there is no doubt.

reg_cur_panel.jpgreg_cur_meter.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks