• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PRC 77, AM-2060 mount and accessories.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have pics of an AM-2060 mounted in a vehicle? Or have you mounted one?

I'm going to me mounting one soon and would like to know how difficcult it is.

Oh, and it's going in my M37, so if anyone knows what antenna, cable and mount I'll need, please let me know.

Difficulty- I'm a technical idiot so please dumb down your answers!

papakb

The VRC-160 mounts on the left rear troop seat near the front and is not a difficult installation. You should have some levelling brackets that attach to the seat so that the radio site level. I used an AB-243 antenna mount with an AB-15 and MS-116, 117, and 118 mast sections but you can opt for a standoff bracket with a standard "sugar scoop" with either an MX-6707 or AS-3900 base with appropriate masts. I may have the installation instructions and if I can find them I'll post them here.

TM 11-2300-352-15-5

Remember that the VRC-125 and 160 are the same as far as the installations go.

Link to Mark Blairs install manual: https://www.nf6x.net/1999/01/tm-11-...rc-53-or-angrc-125-in-truck-cargo-34-ton-m37/

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VRC-160 mounts on the left rear troop seat near the front and is not a difficult installation. You should have some levelling brackets that attach to the seat so that the radio site level. I used an AB-243 antenna mount with an AB-15 and MS-116, 117, and 118 mast sections but you can opt for a standoff bracket with a standard "sugar scoop" with either an MX-6707 or AS-3900 base with appropriate masts. I may have the installation instructions and if I can find them I'll post them here.

TM 11-2300-352-15-5

Link to Mark Blairs install manual: https://www.nf6x.net/1999/01/tm-11-...rc-53-or-angrc-125-in-truck-cargo-34-ton-m37/
Thank you so much! I don't gues you would have a handy link or site address to purchase, would you? I start seeing all of the different numbers and my brain literally short circuits.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have my old bed (my truck was originally a radio truck, I had to get a "new" bed from a donar truck as the pan was completely rusted out) and I'll use that as a template to make holes for mounting the antenna. If you look closely at the bed , you'll see the 4 mounting holes for an antenna and cable access hole.

m37.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the AB-243 antenna base, the bed has pre-punched knockouts in 7 places.

6 smaller holes for mounting, one larger for the RF cable to pass thru.

They will never just 'push' out with a punch, better to just drill them out.

Just below the bed top edge, left side of the bed.

If using the MX-6707 antenna, just drill & bolt the bedside for it and go.

The radio mount is usually secured on the seat slats, with 2 other metal plates on the bottom, with the bolts fitting thru the spaces without needing any drilling.

Some extension cables need to be obtained if the radio is to be used from the cab. A headset or two will do, and an LS-484 speaker is nice. Everything uses the 6-pin plug. Just run them under the ragtop lip. If you have a hardtop, time to drill and use grommits.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the AB-243 antenna base, the bed has pre-punched knockouts in 7 places.

6 smaller holes for mounting, one larger for the RF cable to pass thru.

They will never just 'push' out with a punch, better to just drill them out.

Just below the bed top edge, left side of the bed.

If using the MX-6707 antenna, just drill & bolt the bedside for it and go.

The radio mount is usually secured on the seat slats, with 2 other metal plates on the bottom, with the bolts fitting thru the spaces without needing any drilling.

Some extension cables need to be obtained if the radio is to be used from the cab. A headset or two will do, and an LS-484 speaker is nice. Everything uses the 6-pin plug. Just run them under the ragtop lip. If you have a hardtop, time to drill and use grommits.
I have a soft top and I **believe** my donor cab has a pass through for cables. I have to check.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pass-thru both in the cab and bed are for power to radios. It requires the same 3-pin Bendix female connector style as found on 25 amp voltage regulators.

A kit was stocked for that purpose, with the pre-wired connector and grommit. Some surplus dealers may still have some in stock.

You will then need the male connector/cable for hooking up the radio(s).

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter

TM 11-2300-352-15-5

Is this the antenna and "sugar scoop" you spoke of?
Screenshot_20221015-061107_Chrome.jpg

Just trying to get an idea of what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

papakb

What you have there is the AB-15 base and the 3 mast sections that go with it. They would be correct for use on the M-37 along with the MP-50 base bracket. They're more commonly found on Jeeps but would still be correct. You might need a small spacer between it and the bed so that the flex assembly doesn't hit the edge of the bed.

The "sugar scoop" gets it's name from it's shape and would mount one of the antenna tuning units with it's 2 piece fiberglass antennas. There are 2 of them that will work on the '37, either an MX=6707 or an AS-3900. Both are compatible with the AM-2060.

"sugar scoop":

Sugar scoop and 6707.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All-

Sincerely- all of the letters and numbers are frustrating me. I dint know if I have a disability that doesn't let me make sense of it or what.

Cam someone link to what I need so I can buy it please?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks