• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pre-buy on a m35

rgregj

Hello All,

Just joined a few days ago, and wow what a great site. More information than I could have wished for. Anyway, enough brown nosing. I am currently looking for my first M35 and I wanted find out what areas to look close at during the pre-buy inspection.

rgregj

After reading some of the postings from you guys, it looks like GL is a pain. I have a call into Broadway title to talk to them about it. Anyway, it looks like the best way to go would be through an individual, I am currently talking with two one in Columbia, SC and the other in VA. I was mainly concerned with common problem areas on the trucks. The two I have looked at had rust issues on the windsheild frames and battery boxes.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Common areas for rust are the rocker panels, where the fenders meet the body and the rear cab corners. Hardtops also seem to like rusting along their lower lip. Beds can rust out if water is left standing in them.

The rest of the inspection is much like looking at any used car-condition of the tires (there are ten to replace after all), how up to date the maintenance items are (brake hoses, belts, coolant hoses, etc.). Leaks, body damage, drivability, etc.

Check for axle seal leaks as well.

I wouldn't fool with GL until the SF97 thing is sorted out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Windshield frames and battery boxes can be replaced. Fenders are pretty easily patched of replaced. Cab sheetmetal would be a bigger concern and frame rust, although not that common, is the enemy. Any truck you get check the frame. If it's been in a salt water environment, it could be rough. Don't make a decision based solely on the body, check the frame. Here's what you could find!

Attachments

CGarbee

If either of those deals don't work out for you, let me know... I'm in NC and have a line on a few trucks that are for sale in this area...

rgregj

Ouch Recovry, that looks nasty. And I've checked the frames, they were clean. Also, I've heard you guys mention to check the frame number against the vin on the title. Where is the frame number located? And is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks guys,

Greg

rgregj

Great CG, I'm always on the lookout. What I'm after is a softop with multifuel. Troop seat, canvas/bows, and heater would also be nice. Let me know what you have.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frame number is on left frame rail near the steering box. Check that whole area of the frame rail, they get stamped in various areas.

CGarbee

rgregj said:
Great CG, I'm always on the lookout. What I'm after is a softop with multifuel. Troop seat, canvas/bows, and heater would also be nice. Let me know what you have.

The first truck that I am thinking of has a multifuel with the wistler turbo, troop seats, bows (no canvas right now, but I suspect some could be found), seatbelts (the military ones applied during a rebuild by the Army), and a hardtop. If you don't want a hardtop, it can be changed out... Needs a paint job. Runs very strong. Can't remember if it has a heater, will have to look this weekend when I am at the farm...

The next two I know have hardtops as well, but I haven't crawled over them myself yet so I can't say much else except that both have multifuels...

The last one that I am thinking about is my "toy" M35A2C that I thinking about trading for a comparable condition five ton (USMC varient like the one Timberwolf just got...), but I suspect that would be a case of selling my truck to one person and acquiring the five ton from somebody else...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks