• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price Tag on m38a1?

rpso970

Just wanted to see if any body out their has seen a price stencile on a m38a1 windshield? See pic. I found a good windshield unit and after cleaning it up this was revealed.

FrankUSMC

I had the price on the side of one of my halftracks. On another forum, I asked about it. I was told this was done in the 1950s to show the soldiers the cost to replace the vehicle.
On my halftrack, I think it was stenciled " COST $21000" . I am not sure if that is the amount, but you get the idia. If I can find photos, I will post the correct amount.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's pretty interesting. I thought it had something to do with it being surplussed out-Frank's story makes more sense.

FrankUSMC

I just found the photo. It has on it " COST 21.102"
Also, on the lower door is the bride plate, Yollow circle with a 10 in it. This halftrack was found as surplused and was never repainted. I owned this halftrack back in the 1980s.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

saddamsnightmare

January 24th, 2010.

I've seen Korean War era military vehicles that had a stencil that said" This vehicle cost the taxpayer $-,--- Treat it like its yours". or some such to that effect. I have seen it more rarely on Vietnam era equipment, too. Maybe Uncle should stencil his 5 tons, FMTV's and HMMWV's likewise, then the Dilberts won't be jumping them for kicks.....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:funny: