• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary Fuel Filter Fitting Help/Identification

trider

I am switching my primary fuel filter over to a spin on using a filter head like some of the guys have done before. I went the cheap route instead of buying one of the kits. I can not get the fittings off either side of the primary filter head. Can anyone tell me what kind of fittings these are and if I can replace them at the local hardware or parts store? Thanks.attachment.jpg

trider

Heating it worked on both sides but not before I damagedthe elbow beyond functional. The elbow side is two pieces and I saved the piecethat goes into the filter head but need a new elbow. The guy at the local hardwarestore said it looked like a 1/2" X 3/8" inverted flare to pipe threadwhich I have never heard of. This does not mean he is wrong I have just neverheard of it. I have the part number from the TM but that does bring anything upon an internet search and the only description the TM gives is elbow. Anyonegot any ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post the numbers.

The description from your hardware guy is correct.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I have learned to always have something screwed into these fittings when removing them, otherwise they crumple. Post a pic, maybe I have one.

welldigger

I may have something that will work. I'll check tomorrow. A buddy of mine has a massive brass fitting collection. It has come in handy more than once.

Jeepsinker

Get the thread size on your new filter base, then the thread size on your lines, then get fittings to adapt both together. No need for the old fittings, but may take some trial and error and a few wrong fittings purchased. That's how people get fitting collections. Lol

peashooter

I think you do need a 1/2" inverted flare to 3/8npt elbow to replace the stock one if I remember right. These you can get from napa or oreilly but you may need to order them. Your new base is 1/2 NPT so you could also go that route but they are harder to find and cost more. Here are some Eaton weatherhead numbers for you. (by the way Mcmaster is awesome, but they dont do inverted flare unfortunately)

Eaton Weatherhead brand #s
-1/2" Inverted flare-3/8npt elbow, 402x8 ($7 on amazon)
-1/2" Inverted flare-1/2npt elbow, 402x8x8 ($21 on amazon)

Here is the Oreilly version: 122860 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...h_inverted+elbow_-1_-1&keyword=inverted+elbow

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new filter is it a water trap type with drain built in. I know that filter can be a pain to change if you don't play it right but too me the Primary on a Deuce is the one I would not change to spin on.

peashooter

The new filter is it a water trap type with drain built in. I know that filter can be a pain to change if you don't play it right but too me the Primary on a Deuce is the one I would not change to spin on.
I think TRIDER is going with the Wix 33405 / Napa 3405 unit which is a 12 micron filter with water seperator & Drain. Its the filter most of us use that buy or build our own primary spin on kits.

Here are some part numbers:
Primary Fuel Filter Base:
Wix 24770 / Napa 4770

Primary Fuel Filter Water Seperator w/drain (12micron)
Wix 33405 / Napa 3405

Fleetfilter has good prices on these:
Primary & Secondary Fuel Filter Base:
Wix 24770 / Napa 4770

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-filter-bases/33405.html
http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merc...=fleetfilter&Product_Code=24770&Category_Code=

Attachments