• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem when engaging crain on m816

madsam

I finally got all the hydraulics put together on the crane, now when I engage the crane I get an air leak, which eventually lets the clutch out because lack of air pressure.. scary. The air leak is under the truck and happens when I push the lever on the back next to the winch toward the front of the truck. The lever said 'engage crain'. I will look at the manuals, but has anyone else had that problem?

Steps to reproduce the problem.
1. park truck on flat and put blocks under tires.
2. lift the declutch handle on the back.
3. start the engine.
4. put the transmission into 4th.
5. pull up on the PTO engage.
6. push lever on back forward toward the front of the truck.

Then the massive air leak happens eventually releasing the clutch.
Any ideas?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you must have a leaky air line. you will have to check the air lines going to the crane. and the air lines to the rear winch. sounds like you have a rear air line leak.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just temp fixed a leaky ail line on 5ton that goes over xcase. from tanks to the right side line that goes from the front to the rear glad hands.

martinsaunders06

?n the power divider for crane/rear winch is air valve which when you engage crane drive a rod operates this valve which then supplies main line air to upper govener on pt pump to keep speed at a contanst 1250rpm for even crane operation=this valve could be leaking or piping after it maybe

madsam

Thanks, I think that is close. there is a missing part on the drivers side of the engine. I don't know what it looks like. I will search through the mans. My guess is that it looks like a regulator by what you are saying.

Here is a pic of what it looks like.

Attachments

madsam

OK, I plugged the air leak, just to test it out at idle. I finally got it working.. But it worked for a bit and then stopped. I had put 20 gallons of hydrologic fluid in to test, but I think it sucked it dry. I thought I read that it took 25 gallons, but that can't be right. I will read the manual, but does anyone know off hand, How much does it take?

Hear are some pics of it working before it ran out.

Attachments

madsam

Ok, I put 20 more gallons in which brings it up to 40. I was able to get all the things working. I even moved some stuff around the driveway. I will take pics tomorrow. I still need to get the rollers working as the boom bangs around when extending it. I have had them soaking in WD40 for 3 days. I hope to get them on soon. the problem is that they need adjusting and I can't pop the ends loose. I even used an air hammer. Finally after buying it in June last year, I have done a little work with it. I am now smiling. no leaks... :D

Crash_AF

Hey Sam, if you want some help working on your 816, drop me a line... I'm waiting to have mine delivered from the east and would love a chance to get some experience maintaining one while I wait.

Later,
Joe

madsam

Crash_AF - I plan on working on it next saterday, assuming it does not snow. You are welcome to come play.. :wink:

Here is a pit of my 1st test. The thing picked it up without even lagging the engine at idle.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks