• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problems with hot starts

m1garand_man

I have a m1009 that gives me problems starting it hot or better put "warm" I have a gear reduction 12v starter (truck was converted to a 12v sytem) and when the truck has been sitting for a while after driving but not long enough for the glow plugs to come on it will take a while to turn the engine over. my batteries are good. it just takes up to 3 seconds some times to start at sea level.

Now that I have moved to montana and am living at 3000ft it can take up to 5 seconds of cranking and some times a second try after that to turn the engine over. the starter works fine (had it rebuilt about a year ago) and it is cranking at a normal speed.

I'm thinking because its a grear reduction starter it normaly takes a longer time to turn over an engine but could the altitude have an effect too?

When the engine is cold enough to cause the glow plugs to come on it starts right up in a second or less. the only times I have problems are when it sits for a while after it has been hot.

Westech

CPL
When the engine is cold enough to cause the glow plugs to come on it starts right up in a second or less. the only times I have problems are when it sits for a while after it has been hot.

You answered your own Question there slick. The glow plugs need to come on in a 6.2 even when warm. Sounds like the controller is not working as it should. I have had that problem before with a couple trucks.

m1garand_man

well to give you guys an idea. I will start to notice this problem after the truck has sat for only half an hour after reaching operating temperature. like when I go out to eat dinner and come back out to start the truck it will take sometimes 3-5 seconds of cranking to start it.

could it be an issue with my fuel cut off solinoid being slow to pop maybe? Or maybe not since it starts cold fine and starts up fine after a short stop like to refuel. (I'm kind of just thinking out loud here)