• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progress being made...I see light at the end of the tunnel...

Asmoday

So I continue on my big reseal project. I have learned much on the journey...LOL.

I'm sure many of you have done this kind of work before but for me it's been many years since I have decided to take on such a task. They always seem so easy in my head...LOL.

It's nice to have friends that work at one of the largest helicopter maintenance facilities in the southwestern US.

They did for my removed parts in 30 minutes what would have taken hours and hours for me to do and I would not have had them come out so nice.

The timing cover was put into a "Cuda" solvent washer, media blasted and then aludined which gave it a very light gold hue and corrosion protection. The "Cuda" tank got rid of years of caked on junk in less than 10 minutes...amazing.
A new National #3945 seal was pressed in.

The water pump plate was dipped to strip the paint, sandblasted to get rid of the rust and then gun blued to protect it against corrosion. The same was done for the baffle that sits behind the IP timing gear.

The new water pump painted, baked to cure paint and then mounted up with "Hylomar Aerospace Grade" sealer being used on all gaskets. I've never seen a leak when Hylomar was used. I love the stuff. I installed a new GM rubber oil fill tube grommet as well since the old one was very brittle.

The timing cover is on now, using the civy gasket kit with Hylomar, new crankshaft woodruff key installed and the Fluidyne damper was test fit...ready to go now.

I will be installing the water pump / plate assembly tomorrow.

Radiator is done having been re-cored to a high efficiency 4 row by a good friend as well.

Pics are of the cleaned parts and during the tear down before the timing cover was pulled.

I will post more pics as components are reinstalled...:)

Finally a small light at the end of the tunnel....:-D

Attachments