• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project : Ammunition Trailer

paradeduty

Well, made some time and went to Kansas to drag home the new HEAVY trailer. Hopefully, the plan is to use it w/ the HMTT or maybe someday even a production HEMTT (I know - I can dream though).

Technically, this is supposed to be a "Heavy Expanded Mobility Ammunition Trailer". And let me tell you - it is HEAVY - empty it weighs 11,000 lbs. Max load capacity is listed as 22,000 lbs. Basic dimensions : length is about 23 ft. from rear to front of front tires (another 3' for the draw bar past the front tires), width is standard 8 ft., height (after I aired up the suspension) is about 4 ft. 8 in. to top of drop-side panels.

I couldn't resist the temptation (even after about 35 hr. drive round trip) to check out the air suspension (I also wanted to verify the drawbar height - yup standard 3 ft. above ground). Pulled out the M54 to see what a little air would do.......with the exception of a broken ride height sensor bracket (not a big deal) all seems to work OK. We will see tomorrow if it drifts back down overnight. Have to do some "air-leak-searching" as the compressor on the 5-ton didn't want to "catch up" until I disconnected the trailer. Might just be needing new glad-hand grommets.

The trailer does have full air brakes but I was too chicken/tired to take it for a yank to see how they operate. Can see the brake shoes from the back of the drums and they all look more than substantial.

The trailer is definitely built likt a brick sh...t house! The whole unit is built around a 12 inch tall by 24 inch wide boxed in and gussetted (sp?) backbone that runs down the center of the belly of the trailer. Whether it was intended to be this way or not (probably was because the smooth bottom works so well) it looks like this "boxed mono-frame" has already performed well as a skid plate while being put through it's paces. The basic architecture and profile of the whole thing kind of reminds me of a Humvee on steriods.

The spare tire actually sits on a "bolt flange" above the front axle. There seems to be a round reciever in the front bulkhead of the bed. I'm hoping that this is intended to recieve a mechanical hoist of a sort (like on the bed of some 5-tons) for lowering/raising the spare. This "hoist" could also potentially be used to lift the drawbar for hitching/unhitching the trailer (it is very heavy and has a lifting eye welded to the top for just such an occasion).

Anyways, here are the mandatory pictures....................

Take care, Dave.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size tires are those? Hmmm....

paradeduty

Tire size........

I think the tires were Michelin XZL (I think) 395 something something on 22.5 inch rim. I did check the load rating just for kicks because of the rating of the trailer - they are beasties......at 120 psi they can take 9370 lbs each - more than enough for the 33000 lb total weight with ammunition load.

KsM715

Is that the one from Ft Riley? That was a Nice looking trailer.

Too bad I didnt know you were coming down for that. I have a M101 and 2 6.2 motors in cans that a fellow member from Mich. has stored at my place. I'm sure it would have fit in that trailer no problem.

Green_gator

Beautiful new trailer that you have there. The A1 version like that is a bit heavier then the original version but is a better looking design. I was bidding on them this past week on GL. The flat deck version weighs in around 7,500 lbs empty so you can pull it with a deuce. I have to say that these are the best looking trailers that I have seen and would love to have one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks