• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Yankee

Rangerpig

Hey everyone;
it has been a while since I have last posted. Life has been rough the past year and I have been trying to get out of a hole. Last time I posted there was confusion on cross posts and links and etc, etc, etc. Just pointing out issues with no real direction. Needless to say, I was beyond frustrated and bounced for a few months while I tried to get my life together.

Well, i am back and I have some super awesome news and hopefully it helps some people that were in a similar situation as I was in!

First of all, I have an 87' M1009. She was not in terrible shape at all. Body and frame are beautiful, just an electrical night mare. I took it to the shop for an alternator and I doubt they knew what they were doing. I have had three starters go out, fuses burning, and so on. She (Yankee) was less than reliable. My main issue, I was not mechanically savvy. I was a shooter my entire military career and was spoiled you could say! I am used to taking it to the shop and having people do it for me. Well, at this point in my life, after the military, after the failed relationship, bouts with PTSD, depression, borderline suicide, I decided to stop being a pansy, feeling sorry for my self, and stop being a victim. I am climbing out of this hole I dug myself into. Stating with my skill set. I pulled a lot of my old tools out of the storage shed and went to town on my truck. No more shops, no more wasted money on over priced parts, and labor. I have a friend or two that are helping me learn the game. It is go time and I love working on my truck! She has so much potential. A labor of love, but I can not imagine getting rid of her. She will keep me busy, focused, determined, and help fight the past as I move into the future.

That being said, if you look at some of my older posts,you can see I had wires sticking out of everywhere under the hood, and under the dash. I had an amp that as stolen, wires cut, and going no where. ****, honestly, I wasnt even sure the difference between the oil or transmission sticks! There are leaks from the weather seal, back window needs a handle, fuse burns sometimes when I hit the right blinker, rear axel leak, oil leak, etc.

This past month or so, I have dove into the manuels, downloaded TM's, youtube, googled, so much on it. Based off of some of your posts I have been reading and what I found on the internet, my knowledge is up 4 fold! (that is like 10 fold but not quite as much lol).

Here is what I have recently completed on my own, and I will post photos. First of all, the shop installed a 12 volt starter on my 24 volt vehicle. twice! That is why I have had so many issues with burning terminals, exploding batteries, burning starters. The shop was super unprofessional through the whole situation, over charged, installed the wrong part, and blamed it on me! He said I was burning the starter because I do no know how to start it! That fustrated boiled over to when I got back on this site a few months ago. That is why I was so edgy. Anyway, i wrote him a letter, contacted every organization I could and had them on stand by. He WILL give me a full refund of parts and labor. If he gives me any trouble, I am going to sue him for everything! Every other part that starter caused to malfunction and the towing costs! I wrote him an email and he is talking about refunding, but how much not sure. on top of that, he charged me for the expensive 12volt but installed the cheap 12 volt! The part numbers are as follows : This is what he charged me for. RDL8402S Starter. This is what he installed: DL8401S Starter. both 12 volt starters, yet I was charged for the more expensive wrong part. lol. That is getting taken care of soon.

I also had issues with the AMP cables going every where. I took out the passenger seat and traced back the wires. Pulled and cut it out of the hood going to the battery, and pulled it out from under the dash. It was hooked up to the radio and grounded. I am sure that had some draw and some negative effect on the vehicle. That whole mess of wires was adding to the confusion and mess of the whole shebang! Now they are out of the way and cleaned up.

After that, I noticed it was wet under the carpet. I got a hair up my ass and took out both front seats, pulled up the rubber mat, and ripped out the carpet. What I found was a rust wonderland. not bad, no holes, but spot rust everywhere! I have been letting all that dry. Today I bought some wire brush tips for my grinder and drill (that i recently pulled out of storage). I also bought what is known as Acetone and Rust- Olem. I will be tackling the inside rust tomorrow!

From the TM, I found out what those unconnected cables up front went to. One was the slave recipticle, and the other goes to the bus bar where the coms go in the back! That was a cool moment! I am not a mechanic so for me, it was a big deal!

Anyway, I am going to add photos now. If i do it wrong, I will correct. It is proving to be difficult. I will keep you guys up to date on Yankee. Thank you for all the info on this site! It is beyond helpful. Yall take it easy now! amp wires grounded.jpg17005887_10158270248735333_399993558_n.jpgwet passanger side floor.jpgpositive terminal block.jpgdrivers side messy.jpgclose up,drivers side.jpgboth seats out still wet.jpgboth seats out passanger side view.jpgboth seats out again.jpgamp wiresblue.jpgclose up 3.jpgfound it.jpgrandom wires.jpg