• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Battery(s) install Procedure

scranch18121

I have a MEP002 and it needed new batteries. I remember reading about 6 months ago on the proper procedure for hooking up the 2 batteries to keep from arching. I have been looking at old posts and in the resources section and cant seem to find anything.

Does anyone have this procedure?:???:

derf

12V BATTERY ONE 12V BATTERY TWO

(+) (-)--------------------------------------(+) (-)

Positive 24V Negative 24V

This is a series connection of two 12V batteries for 24V use.

scranch18121

How (what) terminal is connected first. second, third, fourth, to keep it from arching.

example: genset to positive terminal of battery 1, then negative terminal of battery 1 to positive terminal of battery 2, then negative terminal of battery 2 to the genset

????????????????????????????????????.

As long as your not say trying to start it while connecting the batteries there shouldn't be an arch. When I ran mine in series and connected them I was expecting an arch and there was none.

The way I did it is Battery 1 positive to genset positive. Battery 2 Negative to Genset Negative. Connect middle cable to battery 2 positive then connect cable to battery 1 negative. I had no arch, though mine is a Mep 017a I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

derf

If there is an arc then something is probably connected that shouldn't be if the unit is off.

Electrically, there is no way to prevent an arc, no matter in which order you connect the wires, if a circuit is made by the connection of the batteries.
No closed circuit, no arc.
Closed circuit = arc = something drawing current is "on" or shorted.

On automobiles and things that are negative earth, you connect the positive terminal first and that way if you accidentally touch the wrench to the body or chassis while tightening the negative terminal you won't get an arc. In that sense you go positive first on negative ground stuff.

Last edited:

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM and plate on Mep002a says disconect Negative first, Reconect Positive first (it states to hook the +- jumper first). I also get a small arc.
Bob.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks