• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Brake Bleeding

halftrack

I've bled brakes before, but is there a proper way to bleed brakes for the M35. I am ashamed I don't know this and the TMs that I have looked in does not give any details. Does the brake booster need to be bled or does it even get bled? I know this must of been covered before so I apologize for any repeats.

Boatcarpenter

I don't know what the experts will tell you, but when I had to do airpack and master cyl. work I bled everything until I got clear, fresh fluid from all bleeders. Figured it hadn't been done in a while so thought that was best approach. The fluid in the booster will be purged doing this. Fluid is not cheap, but neither is running over a Honda with a woman and a baby in it :(
BC

acetomatoco

the best part about our M series trucks is that they almost bleed themselves... Fill the MC wait overnite, refill and start your bleeding... MC then Booster then far to near...you can do it yourself with a nice tranny funnel and a rope around the pedal linkage...using a socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet makes the bleeder screw job much easier... ACE

papercu

Brake

Also to save some fluid, get some clear plastic tubing the size of the bleeder valve and long enough to reach from the far wheel back to the MC. Then just sit in the cab and pump away. Wayne

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Proper Brake Bleeding

acetomatoco said:
the best part about our M series trucks is that they almost bleed themselves... Fill the MC wait overnite, refill and start your bleeding... MC then Booster then far to near...you can do it yourself with a nice tranny funnel and a rope around the pedal linkage...using a socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet makes the bleeder screw job much easier... ACE
Ditto on the "do it yourself". I used a pc. of steel as soldier "B"'s foot. I did a bit of running back and forth but it worked well.

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Proper Brake Bleeding

As there is no Soldier B in my Shop, I as have others, learned the DIY method on many things...Try rewinding front winch wire rope neatly by yourself!!! ACE

BEASTMASTER

i'm not sure about the deuces, but the 5 tons airpack has 2 bleeders. bleed the master cyl.then the top bleeder on the air pack then the bottom bleeder on the airpack then the normal routine. :grd:

acetomatoco

The best procedure is the one that works for you... I certainly would not recycle fluid into my MC as suggested above...all the rust and water and other stuff goes round and round... For $20 of brake fluid you will buy $500 of problems... ACE

papercu

brake

certainly would not recycle fluid into my MC as suggested above...all the rust and water and other

By using the CLEAR hose I didn't think it was necessary to point out NOT to dump the bad stuff back in the M/C.
If you do need point to point instructions maybe you shouldn't mess with the brake system. Wayne