• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Front Axle Spindle Bearing Depth

faststandard

My son and I are in the midst of a full on front axle rebuild on his M1009. Ran into a question regarding the proper depth of the needle bearings that are pressed into the spindles - after looking through the TMs I cannot for the life of me find what the proper depth should be in order to allow for the little lip seal to function/live.

The factory manual for a 1986 states that the needle bearing should be recessed 0.1" or 0.254mm. I have them installed at this depth right now which makes the lip seal sit slightly proud.

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

I installed many of these and never gave it much thought. Getting the old ones out was always the hardest part. I would say you are good to go because I did mine 20 years ago and ran the M1009 over 100K after that. Sold it in 2018 and seen it going a few weeks back. You are a wise man replacing all the seals and dust covers. I disassembled a few that had none of them seals in place. If you followed the manual that precisely you have 1 up on me. I just removed the seized old ones and reinstall new ones.