• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper way to lube chassis?

hmmwv-newbie

I don't remember the last time I used a grease gun on zerks, but I definitely damaged at least one of them. Probably should have watched a youtube video on how do to this before trying.

Where I went wrong is assuming that you just pump grease in until it starts weeping then move onto the next one...

The upper control arm ball joint on one side popped shortly after I filled it up, is this an easy repair? Is it driveable like this or should I park it?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are we talking the boot puffed up or the joint literally separated?

If it came apart, go buy a lottery ticket as you just might have saved your life if that failed at any speed...

Definitely can not be driven with separated ball joint.

You do have the correct procedure. Just fill till oozes out slightly but not a dozen pumps....
Sometime zerk fitting is clogged or rusted. There is a tool to open them but just easier to change.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many ball joints and some tie rod ends are ruined if you pump them up enough to "leak" grease, a "pump" or two each is all you need.
This does not mean you have to park the truck

hmmwv-newbie

Are we talking the boot puffed up or the joint literally separated?

If it came apart, go buy a lottery ticket as you just might have saved your life if that failed at any speed...

Definitely can not be driven with separated ball joint.

You do have the correct procedure. Just fill till oozes out slightly but not a dozen pumps....
Sometime zerk fitting is clogged or rusted. There is a tool to open them but just easier to change.
No the boot popped and blew out some of the grease the ball joint is fine from the looks of it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks