• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

proper way to use trolley brake

ncduece

can anyone tell me the proper way to use the trolley brake on the m818 ill be towing a m871 trailer with a deuce on it along with some other stuff. i will be going down some steep grades in wv. any hints on how i can load the deuce on the trailer. i thought about backing down in a ditch or trying to find a loading dock. thanks

EO2NMCB

I'm sure some might disagree , ONLY use the trolley brake to check for brake lights when doing your pre trip. That being said make sure all of your air valves are working right, with no air leaks. When you are loaded heavy, use your low gears and motor to hold you back while coming off a 4-6% grade. It only takes one "OH @%# to make a bad day"

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Never use the trailer brake lever (trolley brake, Johnny bar) in conjunction with the foot pedal....YOU DO NOT NEED IT AND IT DOES NOT PUT MORE AIR IN THE SYSTEM.....
It is used for holding a trailer in place when backing under it (the old military trailers had air over hydrolic brakes and would roll if they had no air in the system).
When I was a drivers trainer/tester I would fail any driver that grabbed that trailer brake lever when road testing.
Rule of thumb for mountains: never go down a hill faster than you went up it, if you have a heavy load (and no Jake Brake).
Never "fan" your brakes on a hill.....they will get hot fast and fade.
It is better to keep a light, easy pressure on them going down the hill and avoid letting the vehicle build up too much speed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I driven tractor trailers since I was 16. The only time I ever used the Johnson bar (trolley brake) brake is one time when I was in snow and ice. I was going down a hill and looked in my mirror and saw the trailer trying to pass the truck :shock:. I pulled on the lever to apply the trailer brakes to get the trailer back under the truck.

When you hit the foot pedal it applies the trailer brakes with the truck brakes so 99.9% of the time you just leave it alone. I wouldn't be at all concerned pulling a trailer with a truck that didn't have a trolley brake.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was driving in N.E. Pa, I used the trolley valve when I had to stop on an incline so I wouldn't roll backward when I started moving again.

Another way to brake on inclines (if the road is dry/not icy) is to use a lower gear for compression and to "stab" brake the truck. Pick your safe speed, when the truck reaches it, brake quickly until until you are about 5mph below it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks