• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PsycoBob propane conversion

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bob, I saw this

"Propane regulators used for engines (forklifts) are available in coolant-heated version to avoid icing. A wide variety of fixed/variable regulators are available. I'm looking at a Beam T50/60 for a 1.5kw DC genset that's giving me carb problems."

in another thread. I have found little to no information on making this conversion. Could you tell me how you plan on doing it or at least post a parts list once you are done? I am wanting to do the conversion but don't know what or how to look for components. Thanks for any input.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulator on the boom lift is strapped to the exhaust manifold for heat. That engine is aircooled, so no coolant.

What are you converting? With propane, it will run when tipped on it's side, always a bonus for you!

gimpyrobb

I have a 1.5kw genny I want to convert. The carbs are said to dis-like the modern petrol, so I want to convert it. I had thre thing running great till it ran out of fuel, then it wouldn't start. Most of the things I have read said its better to swap out the carb for a new one. I don't want that gamble of it not starting with the carb. I have also seen the insides of motors that run on propane and NG. WAY cleaner than the gas equivalent.

gimpyrobb

I never thought about dual fuel. I guess it would be better to go with the NG/PP capability rather than just PP. Anyone else done this?

I had a 1984 dodge pick up I converted to propane/gasoline dual fuel it was easy. Most of the time a small engine does not require a vaporizer if it is fed with a large enough propane tank, not a twenty pounder. carbs on gen sets need a needle valve to adjust the propane flow.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, give me a call and I can walk you through the conversion. I've worked on these propane systems for years on the forklifts we use. I may even have all the stuff you need for conversion.

Porpane systems are pretty basic. You've got a tank, the vaporizer (sometimes called a regulator), and some sort of throttle. I'm leaving out a few of the small parts but that's basicly all it is. You can run the propane through your factory carb.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you didn't try and call tonight. I think my phone is out in the truck so I wouldn't have heard it ring. Tomorrow will be fine.

PsycoBob

Ok, now that I've remembered to turn on a computer again....
I'm using a Beam T-60 regulator. They're available in a wide variety of options, including idle, primer, and vacuum lockout. The one I got has Idle & vacuum lockout for safety- great thing for a 28v genset on an M109 camper. My current problem is that the amount of vac pressure needed is tiny, but the volume is rather huge for a pull-start 16ci engine. It may help once I get the air filter box reinstalled- every little bit of suction helps. Of course, trying to find a pair of spots that pull enough vacuum to both operate the safety AND the flow side of the reg is a bit of a challenge.

I'd advise getting one with a primer and an electric lockout to be run off the genset's excitation power supply. The T-60-G will likely do what you want, Rob. It looks like the excitation winding produces about 24v, and the shutoff won't care if it's AC or DC. If you can find one with a pushbutton to bypass it, you won't need to add a manual bypass or a dpdt switch to run it off the vehicle batteries.
Beam T50-T60 Propane Regulators

The T-50/60 series has ports for hot coolant to run engines of 40hp from liquid propane. It'll work fine on small engines without the added heat, or on vapor propane we'd normally be drawing out of a tank. Running a big engine off a vapor system will just ice up the tank. Other regulators usually need a separate reg to drop pressure from tank (250psi) to something lower, often between 12lbs and 4 inches of water column.

So far, I removed the gasoline jets, plugged the extra openings with RTV, drilled out the hole on the underside of the carb & tapped it for 1/8" pipe. I test-fired it with a straight regulator and a needle-valve from Lowes to control the mix. Works great, if you don't mind tweaking the needle valve every time the load changes. I've since fabbed a piece of copper tubing (trimmed at an angle on the carb side) that will fit the 1/8" pipe fitting and help the venturi suck the fuel out of the t-60.

I'll post back with more after a work around the safety 'feature.' Would've been nice to see an easy way to disable it- I can simply remove the spring/diaphragm after disassemble, but I like that whole "I'm not going to die in my sleep" thing.

PsycoBob

Right, I'm going to run away and join the Amish. Blasted crappy internet connection made me reload the page 3 times and added a double post to boot.

Last edited: