• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO driven by aux engine?

Slim

Not sure where to post this question, so here goes.

Has anyone tried to run a PTO driven winch of of an auxillary engine? Does anybody know what the approx. hp output of a 5ton pto would be? Would like to mount a winch on the back of my truck but from what I've seen rear facing PTO units are pricey. I have access to many small engines that I could use to drive the winch shaft.

I worked for a well driller that used a similar setup on his water tanker to pump water to the drill rig, and that seemed to work.

Thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I still have the frame and tank off of the M49 I am parting out. The PTO for that was mounted on top of the transfer case. If there was an unright gas engine mounted on a flat plate on the frame it could be connected to the PTO shaft that ran the pump (that is mounted at the rear of the tanker).
As far as running a front winch with an aux engine you would have to mount it on the bumper and it would be in the way for a lot of reasons. Cobbling a drive system might be an issue too.
The M35A3's used a hydrolically driven winch that worked off a PTO pump......that is prob the best way to run one if you don't want mechanical linkage.
If you want it mounted on the rear hydo is prob the way to go too.
The pipeline dueces had a winch mounted on the rear behind the cab but finding all the parts and linkage would be difficult and pricey.
Just my two coppers worth.

rwoods

I believe you might be able to back into the hp requirements by using one of those charts (usually found in hydraulic motor catalogs) that show electric, gas and hydraulic motor equivalents. Uncle Sam uses an Eaton (Charlynn) 109-1094 hydraulic motor on 5 tons. If you look long enough you can find the specs for it. It is of course limited to the pump; the make and model I believe is listed on one of today's new posts. You should be able to use either the motor or the pump info to come up with the probable horsepower. I also seem to remember a thread where someone calculated either the deuce's or the 5 ton's pto rating.

I assume you have considered with any mechanically driven winch that you will need a means to reverse the rotation. This little details has always driven me back to hydraulics on my winch projects. Ron

Slim

The winch would definitely be mounted behind the cab so no worries about having enough room. I searched long and hard and found the specs on the Eaton Char-lynn 109-1094 hydraulic motor but no such luck finding the conversion chart. I also searched the forum for quite a bit for the pto ratings on these trucks found nothing.

As far as reversing goes, I was planning on using a winch off a wrecker that has a self reversing mechanism or one that can freewheel and just pull the cable out.

I have a 4 cylinder ford ranger engine and 5 speed trans laying around........Would take up the rear of the truck but if the winch was big enough it just might be worth it....:beer:

rebel_raider

According to TM 9-2520-246-34 the Deuce pto puts out 27 hp at 1000rpm. So, if the Deuce winch is rated for 10,000 and the 5 ton winch for 20,000, I would say double the horsepower, or 54 hp. That is just my guess, though. I could be completely wrong. (wouldn't be the first time)

rwoods

Check the Eaton online catalog for the motor specs under the 4000 series; for some reason, I can’t download any Eaton catalog right now or I would look it up for you. It took me hours to research this for myself as I could get nothing useful under 109-1094. I was forced to scroll through distributor catalog after catalog until I got enough information to scroll through the Eaton catalog. For conversion information you may need to use both of these sites.http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/motor_calc.htm http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm
Try “PTO HP” for a thread on pto horsepower. Ron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks