• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Seal?

booze_rooster

Hey guys,

Separated my PTO from my transmission to start teardown to repaint the cases. Single front output early style DH unit.

Decided it would be easier to mask the PTO's mounting flange if I removed the idler shaft and gear.

When I removed the cotter pin and tried to unzip the castle nut on the front end of the idler shaft, the whole thing just spun. I had a look at the back of the shaft to see what I could do to lock the shaft in place and found the back of the shaft had a galvanized washer tapped into the end of the shaft cutout with a ball of blue wax in the center of it acting as an impromptu seal.

Consulted my parts diagram and manual to see what seals the back of the shaft. Nothing is shown.

Ended up jamming the front tapered bearing cage with a soft drift and was able to sneak up on the castle nut with my ol' Milwaukee impact before it could think about resisting and was able to tap the shaft out and remove the gear.

Inside puzzles me. It seems there is nothing that seals the idler shaft. The back is exposed and hanging out in the air and the front only passes through what looks like a bronze sleeve in the PTO casing before the shaft is locked in place with a castle nut and washer. The manual unhelpfully states to "remove the cotter pin and castle nut" with no further information. No clue how I'll tighten it when I put it back in.

Since this is on the low side of the transmission and the the shaft is freely rotating, what stops the gear oil in the transmission from draining itself through the PTO idler shaft cutouts?

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

Separated my PTO from my transmission to start teardown to repaint the cases. Single front output early style DH unit.

Decided it would be easier to mask the PTO's mounting flange if I removed the idler shaft and gear.

When I removed the cotter pin and tried to unzip the castle nut on the front end of the idler shaft, the whole thing just spun. I had a look at the back of the shaft to see what I could do to lock the shaft in place and found the back of the shaft had a galvanized washer tapped into the end of the shaft cutout with a ball of blue wax in the center of it acting as an impromptu seal.

Consulted my parts diagram and manual to see what seals the back of the shaft. Nothing is shown.

Ended up jamming the front tapered bearing cage with a soft drift and was able to sneak up on the castle nut with my ol' Milwaukee impact before it could think about resisting and was able to tap the shaft out and remove the gear.

Inside puzzles me. It seems there is nothing that seals the idler shaft. The back is exposed and hanging out in the air and the front only passes through what looks like a bronze sleeve in the PTO casing before the shaft is locked in place with a castle nut and washer. The manual unhelpfully states to "remove the cotter pin and castle nut" with no further information. No clue how I'll tighten it when I put it back in.

Since this is on the low side of the transmission and the the shaft is freely rotating, what stops the gear oil in the transmission from draining itself through the PTO idler shaft cutouts?
That shaft should be a press fit in the housing and not need a seal. Case or shaft may be worn or damaged.

Frank

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks