• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO stud size?

shootiniron

I'm looking for the size of the stud that comes out of the side of the tranny that the PTO hangs on.I'm going to install a winch on my truck and saw in the TM's that the top bolt is actually a stud.Thanks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda sure it is 3/8", with course threads 1/2" long on one end and fine thread 1/2" long on the other. I think you can use a stud that is usually available for exhaust manifolds. To install, it is super tight, I remember having to start the nut while holding the PTO about 1/4" away from the transmission, all while silicone is smearing everywhere and the gaskets are getting out of alignment.

Jake0147

You can go to any truck parts place, many Napa's that deal in truck stuff, Fleet Pride, most truck dealers, or any other miscellaneous places that have Muncie stuff. I don't have the part number in front of me, but it's the short stud kit for a six bolt PTO. If any of those places don't have it, they can get it in short order.

I havn't read into the TMs to see what's supposed to be there, but coarse thread bolts tend to vibrate loose. Not to say that they all do, but they have a good propensity for it.. The stud kit when propelry installed will all but eliminate this. It also makes hanging the PTO and the required gaskets much easier.

Silicone on those little thin paper shim/gasket pieces usually causes more leaks than it fixes...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks