• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchase of an LMTV

FloridaAKM

Guys, I am looking to buy the LMTV that I have always wanted. Its a private sale, not from auction & the truck has been painted & gone thru as you will see from the pictures. Your thoughts?

IMGLMTVINSIDE.jpgIMAGLMTVLEFT.jpgIMAGLMTVRIGHT.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

Until you get some experience on the truck, it's going to be hard to tell. Besides paint, what else did he do to it? That canvas may not last long depending on the method he used to get it black.

DanM7890

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who uses that saying.

I was thinking the same thing on that top. If he bought to resell, he probably hasn't driven it much after the paint job. If that rear cargo cover was painted it may not last once the wind gets a hold of it at 55mph. If you're serious about the truck, I would ask what they have done and take 2 hours on a nice day and go through all the things you would like your buying an auction truck. Make a check list and go through it all. Lights, fluid level & color, any rust, any damage, all gauges work, and weird noise, batteries are same type, ctis works, no air leaks, raise the cab and check for leaks or signs it leaked in the past. Private sale will be more expensive but if they replaced every fluid and did the right preventative maintenance go for it.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also make sure you're getting a title vs. SF-97 filled out in "their" name. Could cause issues.

FloridaAKM

He put an a/c unit in it, changed the seating to newer seats, painted it black (I don't like black or yellow in vehicles) added floormats/sound deadening to the cab & the rest I do not know. I casually looked @ the truck @ the Mt Dora show in February, but didn't look real hard due to the price tag @ the time! You can see from the cab picture some of the upgrades. Did he do the
PM's, I have no idea. I take it you dislike the LMTV trucks!

The guy had two for sale & the other one had leather interior, plus a/c and other stuff for $27,000.00!

Last edited:

DanM7890

If you read the FMTV/LMTV section they're many that don't like them and some that are on the fence haha. I have a M1081 that I haven't gotten into yet but I do know they can be electrical nightmares apparently. If you don't mind can you tell me about much they want. Post or PM. I am curious as it sounds very expensive.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As someone that also wants a LMTV maybe I'll be a little less critical of the truck in general and on this one specifically.

1) How did he do the AC? Was it a correct M1078 install or a cobbled together HMMWV kit that he made work?

2) Black in FL? I lived there long enough (and in TX) that I know that's going to be nasty to get in to in the afternoon before the AC gets a chance to catch up. And how much harder is it going to be TO catch up because of it.

3) What was done to insulate the cab? How well was it done? How much was done (the back of the cab, the roof, under the mat)?

4) As others mentioned, what else was done and how is the quality of the work?

5) Why isn't the spare tire sitting tight in the mount?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't like black, it is not "the truck you always wanted". Buy one that IS the color you want. This looks like a quick flip paint job that will be peeling off in weeks. Nobody has done the entire proper FMTV A/C install yet. What is being done is the HMMWV kit scab-on, driving off the alternator pulley.

FloridaAKM

When I first saw the truck, the a/c had not been completely hooked up & the compressor was bolted to the side of the engine with no driving belt attached to it. I will have to go spend an afternoon going thru it with a fine tooth comb & a basket load of questions before I commit to buying it. Thanks for all the posts & opinions!

Lmtv772

Banned
Hard to tell from these 3 photo's I like trucks that haven't been messed with too much. That way I can tell better what it needs. Which can be a lot. You definitely want to go through the electronics and check that all relays are there and have the right values in the right sports. Sometimes they plug in 12V relays where there should be a 24v. These trucks aren't any worse than other trucks. More electronics , but most of the times when these trucks break down it's due to wrong maintenance, wrong installation of parts (installed back wards , plugged in reverse...) wrong parts and things left unplugged.
I enjoy driving my LMTV and the creature comforts that come with it.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Hard to tell from these 3 photo's I like trucks that haven't been messed with too much. That way I can tell better what it needs. Which can be a lot. You definitely want to go through the electronics and check that all relays are there and have the right values in the right sports. Sometimes they plug in 12V relays where there should be a 24v. These trucks aren't any worse than other trucks. More electronics , but most of the times when these trucks break down it's due to wrong maintenance, wrong installation of parts (installed back wards , plugged in reverse...) wrong parts and things left unplugged.
I enjoy driving my LMTV and the creature comforts that come with it.
Ditto.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks