• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchase or Pass?

CalledInSick

I have been eyeing up purchasing an M37 in the spring when I stumbled upon this vehicle.

m37.jpg

As you can tell its been lifted. I did not want to go this big but it has a 12" lift, 44 inch tires. Frame off restoration 7 years ago. No/minimal rust, undercarriage was rhino lined same with truck bed. 318, with 727 auto transmission. Power steering, disc breaks, locker in front axle. Standard 5.88 gearing and 12 000 lb winch.

The bad is it needs a new canvas top and seats. That's all it runs great but could use a tune up. Cost $5000, these things are hard as **** to find in Canada in good condition.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That seems to be a decent price for all the work put into it. As long as you realize it isn't a stock truck and enjoy it for what it is, I say go for it! I like it.

3dAngus

If that had a frame off 7 years ago, runs fine, stops well with disk brakes, power steering (whaaaaaa.....?) and is only $5K, it sounds like a dream come true.
I have a M-37 pretty much so original except converted to 12v, and I would love to have that. Sounds like a steal to me, provided the body is 100%

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RESTORATION ? restored to what ? a HOT ROD M37 , depends what you want . We just sold a stock M37 through our club for $5000 US , Motor pool class , just needed paint and clean up . I would not spend the money on something like that , but that is up to to you . BTW , if those are the stock axles with that set up , that is not good . You are not to far from me , Stock M37 's are available in our area from time to time . You need to put a ADD in some of the local MV club's newsletters . Feel free to PM me for info , good luck , keep looking , Bob k

CalledInSick

Thanks for the input guys and I don't expect to turn this into a stock M37. I would like to tame it down a little but just one question why is it bad if these are stock axles?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock axles are not that strong , remember the original engine was only about 100 hp . BTW , does that ride have the stock axles ? they might have put late late model axles into that M37 already after doing all that other work .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would.

gerrykan

The axle housings appear to be originals.

I assume you have, or will test drive it at speed.
Steering geometry may have been affected by the lift, if not done properly.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd say it's fair too for that price given the mods.

I'd like to have a M37 myself. But it'd have to have a lot of mods. A slight lift. Put it on CUCV axles. HMMWV wheels and tires. NP205 t-case. NV4500 5 speed. And a 4BT. That'd be the M37 for me!

CalledInSick

No wandering on the road at 50mph when letting go of the steering wheel. So it seems like everything was well done.

Question how much are canvas tops and seats? also this truck has power windows. Front axle was a complete rebuild with detroit locker and locking hubs, rear axle is completely stock.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No wandering on the road at 50mph when letting go of the steering wheel. So it seems like everything was well done.

Question how much are canvas tops and seats? also this truck has power windows. Front axle was a complete rebuild with detroit locker and locking hubs, rear axle is completely stock.
This ia one of the parts suppliers website it will you a idea on prices.
[h=3]Adirondack Dodge Parts & Military Surplus - Dodge M37 ...[/h]www.adirondackdodgeparts.com/prod1.ht

GUNNY 155

I would agree the price is good for what it is. If you are looking to stay original M37 unless you purchase one already done yes they all need work and in most cases lots of it. I purchased mine and was going to make it just a runner. Trouble was I kept taking parts off it as I worked on it and found various things that needed work and pretty soon I had a bare frame. All well worth it in the end. If they are hard to find in Canada try looking in the lower 48. Give John at Midwest Military a call, he may be able to steer you on to something. He is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to share.

Terrh

hey, I'm from windsor too! Welcome to the forums.

I was just about to post a similar thread to this, I found an M152 that I'm debating pulling the trigger on.