• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchase Private vs. GovLiq or other

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

I'd like to hear from you, opinions on purchasing my first M35 from private party with current state registration vs. purchasing thru GovLiq or others.

I have completed a frame-up restoration of a Dodge 1/2 ton WWII military truck already, have a certificate in diesel tech from UTI (Phoenix), have worked on locomotives for seven years, and carry a current class A truck license (California). The point is that I am not intimidated by my lack of experience on this model of vehicle.

The question is one of whether the $2,000 to $3,000 saved gaining a surplus truck versus purchasing one already street-legal and hopefully having had maintenance done. I am leaning toward the surplus trucks. I also realize a surplus truck will require $500 to $1,500 in immediate maintenance, but that cost can be spread over time.

I have a large assortment of tools including a 3/4"-drive set.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

-Ken in Beaumont, CA

buck

Going with GL is an adventure and gives you a more personal relationship with you're MV.

Private party is safer (usually), as you can test drive and such. Just make sure you HAVE A CLEAR TITLE IN HAND, NO EXCEPTIONS when you purchase.

Good luck.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No title from a priavte seller USUALLY means RUN AWAY, unless YOU have checked with YOUR Motor Vehicle Dept in YOUR state, and found out what the requirements are to register it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like going through GL to save money. Preview if you can. Those GL writeups and photos don't tell much. Often, the GL rep can tell you if the truck ran when delivered. There aren't many M35A2s around on GL these days, only A3s. Check out a GL truck thoroughly before recovery if you intend to drive it home.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys!

Are there just fewer M35A2's remaining in government inventory then, or is this a temporary sales shortage?

I would prefer the LDT engine, I think.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also, be careful of buying from a flipper, a lot will tell you what ever you want to here BUT will not do much to the truck but double the price they paid for it, then there are some that do MORE then what they say, keep the price down and sell a great truck. (CLINTO & CLINTOGF are one of these)

Gl even says in the description that description and picture may not truly reflect the item being sold, that a PREVIEW IS suggested, on this note ASK some of the MK48 buyers about the COMPLETE trucks they brought sight unseen, I will say this, you and my idea of a COMPLEATE truck IS NOT GLs idea of a COMPLEATE truck. rofl

ARYankee

M35s are not as readily available as they were 12+ months ago. I prefer GL just because I get an adventure and I save money. Other folks will say they stay away from GL because they don't want the hassle of the "paperwork" but that hassle can save you up to $3,000. I've seen a few buy trucks that were just flipped and paid way too much. Now there are the decent private sellers like mentioned above. It just depends on how much time you have and what you want to take on.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken - I don't know about the availability of these trucks, but to 'comment' on your original question, in my opinion, is that, as said, the GL thing IS an adventure.
Don't assume that the vehicle will be road ready and that there will be wrench time before you can enjoy the driving part. To me, that is also the part I love - learning it's 'ins and outs' also collecting spares, accessories etc.

BUT, you will be the first civi owner and to me, that is a hugh plus. All of my green stuff except one m/c has been gov auction or dealer ex auction.

Even though I have found some 'motor pool' horrors which were unknown at time of bidding - not least of which hardened bolts put in the winch in lieu of shear pins with resulting damage. There is just "something" about owning a 100%, fresh from the green, mil veh.

I am sure there are a load of genuine collectors that need 'to move on', get into different stuff etc., so have a justifiable reason to sell, but you are almost guaranteed to be buying a civilianised, to some degree, truck.

So, that's my take on things. I'm sure that there are an equal number of people who hate all of the above and prefer the civi market. It's great that both opportunities exist.
Good luck.

F18hornetM

I've bought one from each. So have had experience with both. Was very lucky both times. Bought our first MV [M35 w/winch] from private seller. With extra engine, troop racks, trans and transfer case and drove home 150 miles with title. Very fair price. Yes it needed all the usual maintenance, painting etc. but no big issues. The next one we bought from GL, a M813A1w winch that did not run. Took a chance and only bid enough that we could scrap the thing and sell for parts and come close to breaking even. Planned on having hauled home and didnt even try driving or starting the the thing until it was home. Put batteries in it and good to go. Had no brakes, but found some one adjusted the brakes...In the wrong direction.
So, my advice is keep a look out for what you want. Private sale you can test drive and is a little more pricey. GL is cheaper [maybe] but a roll of the dice on what you get. Either way you can get a good deal. It just depends on what you find.

Last edited:

MDSA

I bought from a private seller, paid a lot more ($5000), but I have a great M35A2 that has needed no maitenance other than oil, belts, ets. Usual stuff.

When I went to look at it, I was just thinking I'd get a feel for dealing with sellers, but when I saw this guy's shop (cleaner and better stocked than my wife's kitchen), I knew he'd taken care of it. Been almost 5 years and I've had no trouble. Well worth the extra cash. But it took my wife a long time to get over me spending that much.

rrrr

GL prices have gone up lately. I think you can find a great deal here in the classifieds. Just be patient.

K9Vic

Private party is safer (usually), as you can test drive and such. Just make sure you HAVE A CLEAR TITLE IN HAND, NO EXCEPTIONS when you purchase.
I like going through GL to save money.
I can say that sometimes you get a better deal from a private seller, but it is rare I must say. I bought one of my CUCV for less then what the average GL price was and is currently. I was able to test drive it, knew what I needed to fix on it right away and it and had a clear Texas title. I knew that it would need about $1000 in repairs and parts, the majority cost was tires. So I was able to knock the price down by $1000 from the seller. This is though not the first time I have got a better deal privately, but as I said it is rare.

Also, be careful of buying from a flipper, a lot will tell you what ever you want to here BUT will not do much to the truck but double the price they paid for it, then there are some that do MORE then what they say, keep the price down and sell a great truck. (CLINTO & CLINTOGF are one of these)
I buy and sell CUCV trucks, but I am no flipper. The last M1009 I sold took me 6 months to restore and spent about $2500 to in parts and accessories. The only items I did not restore was the seats and paint it and people told me I sold it for too cheap. I take pictures of everything close up and from a distance that I inspect and repair. It is just something I learned a long time ago to document what you did as to show the buyer over just a receipt that can be hard to prove was for that truck.

I see the flippers on eBay all the time and some of them even just recycle the GL pictures being too lazy to take their own. They do not even clean, inspect or do anything to them, just flip it. Then you have the place that paint bombs the entire truck to make it look more appealing, but do they inspect and fix anything?

So this being said, you can get just as a good deal privately as with GL. However it is rare to get those deals and if you know how to work on them go the auction route. The only items I have bought from GL are trailers, all my trucks have been private sales or local area auctions.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done a couple purchaces from GL and privat party. The PP is WAY easier and you can find out what maintence has been done on the truck. If I were to do it again, I'd do PP.

Come check out my truck!!

Link to the ad is in the sig line.

jbingvtx

I'm wondering if you have the equipment to haul a deuce? If you do, with your skill set, you are in a great position to pick up one that may not be "cherry" at a great price and fix it up yourself. I have watched the auctions for about 3 years now and it seems like the good deals on M35's are all used up on GL. If you have a way to haul one home you should look at GSA. The trucks are a lot rougher than most GL trucks, but the price is usually better.
By the way, I bought mine from a private seller. For me it was the right choice since I don't have the experience working on diesel engines.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Gl even says in the description that description and picture may not truly reflect the item being sold, that a PREVIEW IS suggested, on this note ASK some of the MK48 buyers about the COMPLETE trucks they brought sight unseen, I will say this, you and my idea of a COMPLEATE truck IS NOT GLs idea of a COMPLEATE truck. rofl
Just curious....Is this an intentional misspelling? LOL....

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a deuce you have your heart set on they you will probably have to buy from a private party as there are very few of them left in the surplus channel.

I bought my first deuce from a guy who bought a bunch to resell. He made around $1000 on it, but it was great value for me. I got to test drive it and I knew where he lived. That truck is still a great runner, always starts, and mechanically is as flawless as they get.

I have bought several 900 series trucks from GL. There is a lot of risk doing that, and I have been lucky, but you really roll the dice when you do that. It might run perfect when you preview and then roll it out of the yard, then blow up on the way home.

There have been thousands of deuces sold and if you look around you can probably find a great deal for around $4-6k private party. If the truck is in the right condition, don't hesitate to pay more. Condition and accessories are everything.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if you have the equipment to haul a deuce? If you do, with your skill set, you are in a great position to pick up one that may not be "cherry" at a great price and fix it up yourself. I have watched the auctions for about 3 years now and it seems like the good deals on M35's are all used up on GL. If you have a way to haul one home you should look at GSA. The trucks are a lot rougher than most GL trucks, but the price is usually better.
By the way, I bought mine from a private seller. For me it was the right choice since I don't have the experience working on diesel engines.
No, I would have to borrow or pay for transport. From Barstow to my storage about $500.