• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purple people eater

cucvTater

I've been the owner of a purple '86 Chevy CUCV 1.25 ton 1028 military truck for years now. I bought it, non-running with a sick 6.2 diesel. I saved a good running 350 gas motor out of my cube van. For awhile I didn't have the funds to stick into it. Later when funds allowed, I began the swap without good results. Anything I touched, turned, tweaked, bolted on immediately broke or blew up. I really think it was all the pissed off Scouts in the yard, damn upset some foreign brand was taking up my shop space and my time. The Scout gods did me no good. With the assistance of Tom Jones (not the singer) from THE SHOP in Oshkosh, the swap is complete. Tom did a great job. He has a long line of a multitude of talents.

After an initial day of tweaking and tuning (for once nothing imploded that I touched) I have a good running truck. Tomorrow my adventure begins. I'm driving fully loaded with circus tent in back, pulling my camper heading to Spirit Lake for the March of Dimes Rally.

The truck sits on 35 inch Kumho mud terrains, dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear with detroit locker. 4:56 gears in the axles.

Initially the truck is going to be used to haul metric tons of firewood out of my woodlot. It will also serve as my primary tow vehicle for my Scout. Plan is to wheel the Scout until it folds in half, then wheel the Chevy til it breaks. After that I'll find a way home.

The truck has been dubbed "Purple people eater"

Thanks to Steel Soldiers as I've spent many, many hours reading and researching FAQS, members posts and write-ups of cucv related info. Quite a wealth of info on here that I've learned.

I live near Appleton, Wisconsin

cucvTater