• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purple signals?

Gleeser

So what's the deal with the purple signals or marker lights on my m35a2? I see orange ones on most all the other trucks. Do these actually function as a turn signal?

On a side note: I can't get my signals to function at all. Before I start looking into it, is there a certain position that the switches need to be in for them to work?

Yes, I realize this is probably a stupid rookie question to you guys. ;-)

Last edited:

KsM715

Purple? Get some pictures. If you want to sell them I might buy them just because I'm in K-State country and their school colors are purple. (might be able to have some fun on gamedays with those)

And just because others are going to jump in and say it. Download the -10 manuals and start reading

Attachments

'48Chevy6

I can't help you with the purple lights, but I'll try explain the switch operation. To the right of the engine stop cable is the master switch. Just below that there is a small "panel" with 3 switches. With the lower right (unlock) knob held in the up position, turn the top switch one click the right. This turns on the signals. Turn it another click for headlights. The lower left switch has something to do with guage and parking lights but I don't quite understand that part. I'm sure someone who knows more about these trucks than I ever will, will come and explain it all but those are the basics.

ETA-- Jeff beat me to it before I could get everything typed

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Those are pretty old the glass could have turned an amethyst color from exposure to the sunlight or they could have been red at one time and turned that color from sun fade.I know a bunch of old bottle and antique insulator collectors who look for the clear glass that turned amethyst over many years of exposure to the sunlight.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lower left switch has something to do with guage and parking lights but I don't quite understand that part.
As KsM715 said, that switch has two positions that give either bright or dim dash lights.
Also, in the 'park' position (with main switch in "service drive'), it turns off your headlights and turns on the front parking lights (inside the front turn signals). This is the only position in which the front parking lights come on.

Slight deviation from the main topic- There are lots of threads on wiring mods to make the parking lights work as running lights, ie on while driving with the headlights on. With the high and close headlights on my 5-ton, I think I have given some folks a nasty surprise at night when they realize I am closer and a whole lot bigger than they thought.
Rather than rewire, I now use a set of magnetic LED amber running lights stuck to my fenders below the turn signals at night, that gives other drivers a much better idea of the width of the truck.

Cheers

Last edited:

Katahdin

Your turn signal matches the brake lights on my M105A2. I'm thinking somebody had too many beers at lunch when they installed your turn signal lamps.

Bill W

my 1954 M-37 had the same lenses on the front park lights, as mentioned its was the type of (clear) glass process they used back then that turned color with age/sun exposer, I was told that the glass process was outdated even for 1950's but there were a few (lense companies) that still used the old process ( cheapo/ lowest bidder )

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my 1954 M-37 had the same lenses on the front park lights, as mentioned its was the type of (clear) glass process they used back then that turned color with age/sun exposer, I was told that the glass process was outdated even for 1950's but there were a few (lense companies) that still used the old process ( cheapo/ lowest bidder )
Would that be "impurities in the glass" - inferior chemistry?

When I was working at a Gray Iron Foundry, there was a huge tolerance/variable for certain tramp-metals content for most of our products. But a few specialty products had much stricter chemistry parameters.

Bill W

"Would that be "impurities in the glass" - inferior chemistry?"
I would say yes to both
from what I remember from a long ago discussion on this ( another forum ) it was sub standard ( outdated ) compounds used in the process.

dmetalmiki

I do agree with 813 on the width thing regarding headlight position and oncoming traffic (at night). I have all four of my side lights (yep 4) lit when the headlights are on. can run with just the four and markers. (whicc can be additionaly seen from oncoming and passing. (picture of my wrecker with the 4 aboard.)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks