• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pushbutton allison M916

wehring

Thanks

Thank you. Hopefully he will answer up and be willing to answer some questions about these rare birds.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

eldgenb

he did mention that they were either a six speed or seven speed allison auto as well. Either one or two overdrives would be my guess.

M920

Thank you. Hopefully he will answer up and be willing to answer some questions about these rare birds.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Justin,

as Eldgen mentioned, I did pick up my M916 from Barstow last Tuesday. By the way thanks for the heads-up on this truck Eldgen! Well.... I have to say, it is indeed an "interesting" truck.
Obviously it must have started live just like any other 1979 M916; Cummins NTC 400 BC1 and Cat 7155 16speed transmission. At one point though, in the not so distant past, it went through a complete overhaul.
It now sports a Cummins Reman NTC 400 Big Cam 3, an Allison HD 4070 7speed transmission with push button control, air ride driver seat and an air ride cab!
I'm really tickled with the Allison. This is an awesome current production transmission that is also used in the USMC MTVR, the M916 A3, the M917 A2 and the USMC LVSR!
Of course I have to do a few mods of my own to it, but this is a pretty capable truck as it sits.
Here are some pics.....I will try to take some more detailed ones tomorrow.

Soni

Attachments

M920

Yes, I am talking about the USMC M916s with the pushbutton Allison transmission.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
So only the USMC had these trucks with the Allison ? I tried to research them on the web but can't seem to find anything. Anybody know who did the conversion?

Thanks Soni

wehring

Thanks

Thanks Soni. It looks like the t-case is still divorced. Did they keep the original t-case? Do you know if it is a 1:1 ratio?

Do you have any MPH/RPM info? 2200rpm = ? MPH

The M923E3 I o0wn with the pushbutton Allison (MD3070PT) is great to drive but it has 2 drawbacks that I believe your M916 does not.

First, my 6th and 7th gears are OD. 7th is a .69 but the t-case is a 1.25:1 ratio which cancels out the OD benefits! The t-case is mated and not divorced so I can not easily (cheaply) change it out with a 1:1.

Second, my Caterpillar (3126) is computer controlled. Your truck has a computer controlled allison behind a manual motor! If we can reverse engineer how the gov did this we can put OD allisons in many other vehicles with mechanical motors.

Thanks for the info. Please keep it coming.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

M920

Justin,

ok...first of all, after driving the it, the truck seems geared much higher than the stock 6.17 to 1 axle ratio! It was doing 55 MPH at 1300 rpm So I'm gona jack it up and check the axle ratio today.

It does use the original T-case which is a 1:1 ratio. The Allison behind a mechanical engine conversion is really simple.....all you have to do is buy the TP sensor attachment for a mech. engine from Allison and install it on the mech. injection pump and you are good to go!
Will take some pics of the set-up for you today.....

Soni

wehring

4.88?

The math says that the axle gears are around 4.88 but I am interested to see what your jack up and rotate test shows.

Thanks for all the info. I have been very curious about these trucks. It looks like it will be a perfect recovery truck. I've gotta have one.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks