• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting the 5 ton to work

M215

Took a couple pictures today while doing some dozer work, this is why I have the 5 ton. The clearing for our future house is about 3/4 mile back in the woods, currently the only access is an unimproved trail. Before the M813 I used a M35A2 to pull the dozer, the 2.5 ton just wasn't enough truck.

Attachments

scooter01922

Sweet truck, good to see it getting some work done. Please don't leave us dozer junkies out in the cold...Pics???

Anything heavy, metal and muddy and i'm there

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, another woodman who builds his own house, back away from others to afford privacy and his own space. Great pics, be sure and post pics of the house in its construction. With, of course, pics of your trucks helping out!

alphadeltaromeo

Thanks for sharing the pics with us. So you commented the 2.5T wasn't enough truck...what was your overall impression towing the dozer with the 5T? I'd agree with the rest of the folk, love seeing green doing some work for you. I'd also like to see more pics if you have them *grin*.

Andy

M215

Dozer work

It will be awhile before we can afford to build the house, presently the best I can do is clear the house site. So far 5 of the 7 acres are clear where we plan to place the house, my available time is limited this was the first I had been out with the dozer since January. Both my wife and I are self employed, my business is based on the housing industry which needless to say money is a little tight right now.

The M35A2 that I previously used would get the dozer down the road, the future house site is near, only 7 miles away. The dozer had to be loaded just right on the trailer to put the correct weight on the tail of the duece, other wise the duece would set into a rhythmic hop between 30-45 mph, top speed was 45 max. You really knew the trailer was back there, long trips were out of the question.

The 5 ton is far better for this job, it is easy to forget the trailer is tied to your rear. acceleration is slow with the loaded trailer, 3rd-4th shift is tough, really puts the truck on it's knees. In 3rd you wind up to max 2100 rpm, 4th drops you down to 1100-1200 rpm, the truck runs great between 1600-2000 rpm. I have done one long trip towing the dozer, 150 miles round trip, on the open road it could maintain 52 mph / 2100 rpm. Figure the dozer / trailer combo weight is 25-30,000 lbs. The trailer has electric brakes and does a good job in assisting the 5 ton in stopping.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job describing the towing abilities of the two trucks. I have had similiar experiences. Then occasionally you run across somebody that pulls a trailer, with a similiar load, with a One Ton Pickup, and think they are doing fine!

You can accomplish a lot with some "vintage" equipment, imagination and elbow grease - and have fun doing it.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks