• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Queen Lola earning her keep

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG-20140606-00453.jpgIMG-20140604-00450.jpg

Preparing to pour concrete for the new shed...and backfilling for old concrete stairs and patio I dug out beside the house. I did three loads, about 3-4 tons each. Loading with the skidsteer was fun, but unloading sand and concrete chunks with the blood pressure hydraulics (me and a shovel/rake) much less so. Took me a good hour each time. I wish I had a dump bed! I need a dump bed. Twist my arm...
Then unloading two loads of gravel at 4 tons each (3/4 inch clean wash) by hand...a guy asked me if I was on WeightWatchers. One more to go in a couple of days....

Brakes are serviced and generally good, but loaded, on a downhill stretch, stopping from 35 mph, she does not exactly stop on a dime. I usually drive her empty, so the difference is noticeable. Also, loaded, on a tight turn, the tandems shift sideways relative to each other about the distance from the tire edge to the fist groove on the G286, so about an inch max. I put my head in and checked around the trunnion, but I did not see any gaps that looked like they should not be there. You can see the middle axle sticking out a bit in relation to the rear on the left picture.

I am always torn as to whether or not I should put the truck to work; the up-side is I get to drive it, driving loaded sure warms up the drive train and I am the star in the gravel pit. But, it does polish the bed quite good and when I dropped a concrete chunk aua I actually tore a hole. Nothing that the MIG can't fix, but - still. also, she'll need a good wash when I am done!!

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... with the blood pressure hydraulics.../QUOTE]

Hah! Clever. Didn't see that one coming.. Also - that's a lot of work!

I am always torn as to whether or not I should put the truck to work; the up-side is I get to drive it, driving loaded sure warms up the drive train and I am the star in the gravel pit. But, it does polish the bed quite good and when I dropped a concrete chunk aua I actually tore a hole. Nothing that the MIG can't fix, but - still. also, she'll need a good wash when I am done!!
It's not a good day when you damage ANYTHING you own. =/ but I think it's good to use things for that which they are intended. But that said, I also do not enjoy wearing things out (even my favorite T-Shirt), but at least a hole in the bed is about as easy fixable as can be for a hole in your truck - especially if you have the welder and skills to go with!