• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about airshift

alphadeltaromeo

For this newbie...how am I to know that a particular 2.5T has an airshift transfer by simply looking in the cab? Have a pic? Slowly but surely I'm being educated. If this is covered in a TM, I'm pleased to go look...just let me know :)

Andy

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There is a lever that is mounted to the bottom edge of the dash that - that lever is an air valve, flipping it engages and disengages the front axle.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The switch that is hanging directly under the instrument cluster (as seen below) is the switch in question. It should have a switch that goes from right to left and a bulb underneath (lights up when axle is engaged).

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Only once, but I have not off-roaded much with the truck since I got it. Sunday night, it climbed straight up a mountain of mulch....... Really impressive.

M1075

If no air shift, then you probably have a sprag (sprague) setup. There is also a kit to convert to manual shift with a level through the floor board. Try the search function for sprag and sprague and you will find plenty of info.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Reo Motors designed these trucks to have automatic front axle engagement via an overrunning clutch - usually called a sprag. Whe the rear wheels spin, the front axle engages. When positive traction is restored to the rear axles, the front axle disengages. In about 1951 a particular officer - whose names escapes me at the moment - began a crusade agains the sprag unit. Reo Motors, GM (who used a similar system in their M135) and Aberdeen Proving Ground all began extensive testing - which showed repeatedly that the sprag unit, properly adjusted, worked exactly as designed. However, proper adjustment was critical.

After about 20 years of debate, the air shift transfer case was introduced - it was more expensive, and no more effective - less so in some cases due to driver error - but had reduced maintenance.

Funny, the 5 tons were never subjected to all this largely unfounded scrutiny.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
I like the pic...helps considerably. With respect to locking the front...how often have you actually used it on your 4x4 adventures?
With the rear axles "free'd up" for highway driving, the front wheel drive comes in very handy, perhaps more often than you'd think.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the air-shift. It makes a cool "Psss-klunk" when you flip the levenr back and forth while stationary.

alphadeltaromeo

DDoyle said:
After about 20 years of debate, the air shift transfer case was introduced - it was more expensive, and no more effective - less so in some cases due to driver error - but had reduced maintenance.

Funny, the 5 tons were never subjected to all this largely unfounded scrutiny.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
David

Are you saying that the 5Ts are sprag design then?

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks