• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about defect in Goodyear G286 tires

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I showed my Deuce on a truck show this weekend and one visitor pointed out what he is convinced is cracking tires.
What to look for: In the centre groove of the the tread is what appears to be another thin groove (or "crack"). To me, it looks to be symmetrical and machine cut.

However, the visitor was adamant that this is in fact the tire cracking and that this is how radials break. I remain unconvinced. The tires are soft and have no other visible cracking. The "crack" is uniform in appearance and no cords are showing.

I'd like to hear from other G286 owners or tire experts.
Insights?

Here is a picture of a tire that displays what I am talking about (not my tires but looks very similar). The thing to look for is the thin black line following the zig-zag pattern of the centre groove.

G286 issue.jpg

Last edited:

plym49

How coincidental this is! I noticed the exact same thing on my G286 tires yesterday. At first I, too though it was a crack but it is just too symmetrical and the edges too smooth to be a failure. I don't know why the groove is there - perhaps it adds compliance under side impacts to make a blowout less likely - but I am sure someone will know for sure.

BTW, the tires on my truck seem new and I doubt they have 2,000 miles on them. Hard to believe they are about to fail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks