• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about H45 heater for M1101 camper conversion

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I trusted the Amazon reviews, I'd never purchase anything ever again.
"1 star: box was damaged in shipping"
"1 star: Item never arrived"
"1 star: China maidz teh COVIDz"

Hell, das uber-est-German Webasto units get just as CRAPPY reviews on Amazon.

But I get the hesitation. The reason I mentioned the FB group is because they go into good detail on how to improve on these little diesel units to make them safer and as reliable as the German-made versions with some very simple mods (mostly simple mounting improvements, etc). To each his own, and I had never really considered one of the Chinese units until I looked into them further.

But no, I do not have one yet. My Hunter sorta works for now (it goes into fault after about an hour of operation and pops it's cb). Factor in the fact that it's the loudest part of the truck (like a jet engine you can hear it over the CAT engine outside and even over the diesel genset when inside the hab, you will never sleep with this thing kicking on an off, forgget trying to watch TV or phone w/o headphones), the fact that it only runs for 30 seconds to heat, then spends five minuets blasting cold air as it cools the unit for shutdown, with the fact that it pops the cb after 30 minutes...and the OEM Hunter only gets 2 Amazon stars from my review.

My hab heat only gets turned on maybe three times a year, though. And one of those is only to make sure it still works.

ymmv

:)
OMG, resetting the heater CB is what killed Ricky Nelson!
Maybe it just needs a little PM love!!

Third From Texas

OMG, resetting the heater CB is what killed Ricky Nelson!
Maybe it just needs a little PM love!!
I wish I could trouble shoot the issue. It's been going into fault since I've had the truck. And if kept running long enough, I can almost see a bit of haze in the hab. It doesn't set off any of my CO or smoke detectors but it's as if there is something being introduced in a very fine aerosol.

The killer is the noise, though The heater itself is loud. The blower is insanely loud. And there is no sound proofing or insulation between the way the unit is mounted and the wall...so it's REALLY LOUD. The thing rubbles on at startup for 20 seconds, then gets jet engine loud as it heats up for 30 seconds, then it instantly reaches blast furnace temp, it goes back into jet engine blower-only mode to cool off for five mins, then it will shut down for a few mins until the whole cycle starts again.

You can't hear the TV, the stereo, the phone, or even the 200db diesel genset running just outside the box. It's REALLY LOUD.

;)

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried to get the original heater to work several times in my M1010. I gave up and went with a Planar heater, I gained a ton of space, more efficient, has a thermostat, and is quiet. I was able to make good use of the old vent from the original heater... 🔊

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks