• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about HMMWV Beadlocks

86M10086.2L

Do the HMMWV Beadlocks fit snugly around the full floater hub,and front axle manual hub like the original wheels do when installed on a M1008? After myfirst real off roading trip last weekend It became apparent larger tire are in my future. The truck did suprisingly well considering I was following Toyota Tacomas, and Jeep Cj's and wranglers the whole time. I tried a set of factory Dodge 2500 rims a buddy of mine has, and they fit but the don't fit tightly on the hubs leaving all the weight to be placed on the wheel studs. And to be perfectly honest I can't see spending the money on aftermarket rims as most look ridiculous on these trucks. The dodge rims are polished aluminium and looks absurd. SO I figured I go for the HMMWV beadlocks but if the don;t fit right, I gues I'll have to bite the bullet and have wider hoops put on the factory rims. I know a few of you guys have them, HOW DO THEY FIT?

Elwenil

90% of the trucks made support the weight on the studs, not the hub. Most FWD vehicles made are hub-centric, but trucks , especially older ones, typically are not. Part of the reason for 8 lugs is for the added support.

Elwenil

I forgot about having to use the spacers even though that is what I plan to do on my Ramcharger. I guess the use of the spacer makes the hub-centric thing a moot point, lol.

As I've said before, M1075, those look real nice on your trucks! Do you run the runflat insert or a pipe insert to take it's place? I'm just wondering about the wisdom of trying to keep the stock runflat insert and using them with say, BFG 35x12.50 ATs.

M1075

To be honest, I have never mounted or dismounted one of these. I bought several dozen from GL that were already on the rims. It might be a while before I exhaust my supply and have to break one down.

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy all, I have changed my fair share of humvee wheels both old and new ( # of bolts, radial vs bias ) and the old 2 piece run flats are easier than the newer rubber ones. but they do work cause they got my a$$ out of a bind a few times. And to my reckalecktion you dont have to run runflats at all with the 2 piece wheels. As long as you got good o-rings then you can seal them up. Just pull the tires apart a bit so they will pop on the beads. And any civy tires in the 16.5 range will work. We got a set of super swamper SSR's once and those rocked but when we got back to Campbell the SGM said they werent authorized so we had to take them off. Swampers did alot better in mud and the sidewalls held up to the rocks better than the Goodyears. Just my .02

men_of_war

Banned
i don't know about the fit but the rims are a pain in the a$$ if your not an mos Q'ed wheel mech. or know what your doing or not have all the prop. tools and a ready supply of replacement parts.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The humvee rims/runflats/tires are easy to break down/put back together.. Just takes some time and someone to show you how to do it properly. My first 12 bolt rim/ rubber runflat took me 2 hours. After some helpful advice, I got them done in 30 min start to finish. the only parts you should need to replace are the O rings.

CCATLETT1984

swampers arent rated for the weight of the hmmwv, thats why they came off the truck.

the beadlocks that i run from Dean Reed are one piece metal but they have joints in them, they are easy to change. and I wouldnt run a hmmwv rims without a beadlock(dont need a run flat) since the rims has no safety bead for the tire to grab onto.

Jake0147

86M10086.2L said:
.... don't fit tightly on the hubs leaving all the weight to be placed on the wheel studs....

Here's a good rule of thumb to remember-

The lug studs/nuts carry ALL the weight, ALL the time.

If you have tapered lug nuts, then the lug nuts also serve to center the wheel as you install it. If you have flat (non-tapered) lug nuts, then the hub serves to center the wheel during installation. Once it's tight, it's all on the lugs. No worries there, so long as it actually fits over the hub. Ask me what I think about spacers though... :? But those wheels do look awful good on there. :wink:

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: Question about HMMWV Beadlocks

spacers are safe, and fine as long as installed and properly maintained. that means you have to retorque them at the intervals needed. 100miles, 500, 1000. then every 3000 thereafter.

86M10086.2L

well, I know that my wheels at least fit quite snugly on the hubs so much so they usually require alitle love to get them off. I was under the impression that the studs carried more of the lateral load and obviously the torque of the axle spinning it. All my other vehicles are the same way (all GM) snug fit on the hub where I would imagine most of the load is placed upon. But if that is not an issue with those of you who have them, and they're not a problem when stressed while four wheelin, than thats fine. Anybody know a good place to get a decent set complete with tires? I'm looking for 5, I always run a same size spare. Plus how much lift do I need to clear them without trimming fenders? I'm not a rock crawler looking for all kinds of axle articulation I tend to run mild trails and mud pits so I really just need to clear the tires and have the stock amount of axle travel.

AJMBLAZER

Without trimming at least 6" of lift.

With minor trimming you can get them to fit with no lift. I've got 38's with 1" of front lift.

86M10086.2L

Do you think a shackle flip lift will work? I hear alot of guys talking about them as a cheaper and better alternative to regular lift kits and you get to re-use the stock springs. Again I'm not really looking for tons of axle travel, just enought to safely clear the tires and alow me to drive the truck normally without any real issues. I have no problem with the 6 inch lift, other than It'd be a little bit of a pain to get my snowmobile or quad in the bed, and further limit what trails around me the truck will fit in, heightwise anyway. As it is i'm smack my windshield and roof with branches fairly regularly while following my buddies with their jeeps and toyotas. But when it comes time to get someone out who's stuck, who the first person they look too?

AJMBLAZER

It'll work but a shackle flip is only good for the rear and 4" at most. You'd still have to make up at least 2" in the rear and the front 6". You'll probably still get rubbing even with 6" if you flex it at all.
Not to mention you'll need longer brake lines and driveshafts.

Trimming is much easier.

86M10086.2L

Well, it looks like any of the wheels I might be getting don't have tires on them so, I can eliminate alot of the problems by running 32's or 33's. Those I know will fit without the lift but be very tight on the trail. But with the lift later on, who knows

86M10086.2L

Low as in dawging the truck down? or low as in driving with the stock tires low? I always get low and high gearing mixed up. Besides almost anything would be an improvement over the stock size tires. However I am toying with the idea of using 900x16 military NDT tires like the old power wagons. would look pretty cool (I think) and are around 35 inches tall. question is how well does the old tread pattern work in every day and off road conditions. How do they compare to off the shelf off road tires? They must be somewhat good because the military used them forever, but I never drove anything that had them on the highway or in the rain so I don't know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks