• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about the "Jerry Can" mounting M38A1

gwitthans1

I have been the proud owner of a 1952 (Early) M38A1 for 25 or so years. I have always been puzzled as to why the 5 gallon gas can rubs up against the top footman loops on the body. I am using a military holder, are there spacers that perhaps have been missing these many years? just seems not quite right.

gwitthans1

Thanks, looked at pg 339 and saw washers 0.040 thick. Would these go between the can carrier and the body? my can is hitting the footman loop on page 302 just above reference K. Wonder if its possible that this Fuel can back does not have a deep enough off set. It was military and came off a 1/4 ton military trailer. The original bracket was MIA on this jeep.

Last edited:

gerrykan

Page 339 of the manual appears to be page 336 of the PDF.

Spacer, 13/32" I.D., 1" O.D., 5/8" long (spare gasoline can bracket).

Sorry for any confusion.

Maverick1701

Ahh Yes, I see it clearly now! Thanks appreciated that and now off to hunt for 5/8 spacers.
ebay has them if you haven't found them. The last post was from 2016 so hopefully you have found them by now

JEB

If you don't have access to the stock, or more probably the ability to cut them, the spacers are available from several of the well known Military Jeep part vendors....
Prices are between $16-$20.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks