• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question about Wisconsin Plates

liquidferrum

i am wondering what the people in wisconsin are getting for plates on their m35's

i searched a bit and it seems some people are saying that getting collector/hobbyist plate is what they did, but you are limited to 500lbs payload, and cannot drive in january. I poked around the DMV website, and I couldn't find what i was looking for.

thanks in advance
Tyler

Westech

CPL
well if you want to drive year round get 16k plates or more... its aver 300 a year. If you can stand not driving it an Jan just get the other plates. I have never been pulled over in any military truck of mine with or with out plates.

liquidferrum

i could stand just not driving it in january, but that same plate also states that you cannot carry more than a 500 pound payload. I guess i'll get the 300 dollar plates, just trying to see if there was a better way. hell, maybe get a plow and make that money back :-D

thanks for your reply.

M1key

I opted for collector plates. I figured I would use my 105 trailer if I haul more than 500lbs. There is nothing in the rules that I seen that prohibits you from doing that.

You can drive in January if you apply for a permit ($30?).

toddm

I have WI collector plates on my M35, never drive it in the winter and have never hauled more than 500lbs, yet! Only time I ever hauled more weight was in a parade- about forty kids in the back and another twenty on the trailer.

atvcat33

i put 20,000 lbs plates on my m35, with the winch im at 15,530lbs and with the big tires too iam at 17,000lbs. and if i had a load at 50,000 lbs which i never do anyway it i wouldnt hesitate one second not doing it. DOT here would rater pick on someone else. and for my tractor i use regular tractor plates.

I run Collector plates, the one time fee is good and the insurance man likes them too. The additional plates (more trucks) are even less expensive. As for the 500lb weight restriction, I'll run what I want and hope for a dumb donut eater.

gonorth

If you do go regular plates just don't go over 27,000. First it is a waste of money and second it puts you under commercial laws. After reading another discussion going on here it sounds like that could be a real mess.

liquidferrum

thanks for the feedback, plenty of wisconsin guys on here. I havent bought one yet, but i am trying to figure out all the problems before they arrive. I still need to go take a ride if i can find someone around here.

gonorth

Heck, there is a dealer right in your back yard. They are a little spendy because from what it looks like they fix them up good before selling them. But no harm to go talk to them.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do go regular plates just don't go over 27,000. First it is a waste of money and second it puts you under commercial laws. After reading another discussion going on here it sounds like that could be a real mess.

Commercial regulations start at 26,001 gvw. Do not go over 26,000 gvw if you want to avoid commercial status.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks